We made a visit to Wesselman Woods (largest stand of virgin timber within the city limits of a medium to large city) It is a great place and I should go more often, but it is on the opposite of town....about a half hour drive....and I just don't get there much.
We were taking photos through a window of the viewing area, so the quality is not great. Plus it was a gloomy day so the light was low. Every time a bird made a movement it resulted in a blurred photo....very frustrating since I saw two new birds! This is a Thrush of some sort. Is it Swainson's Thursh? Like I say...it is new to me.
He loved bathing in the little water feature! Doesn't he look fluffy sitting there?

Every bird seemed to have its own "splashing style". I'd call his "exuberant".
The Thrush bathing.....videos were turning out better than still shots.
Another new bird....an American Redstart! Our best photo is that one at the top of the post...I think Mike took it. I love the flash of yellow in the tail. Very distinctive, but I didn't know what it was at the time. I really wanted better photos of this bird! I've never seen one before. I will have to go back on a sunny day and hope to see it again.
I like his splashing style....put your head in and shake your tail and wings :-)
Redstart bath
This Grackle was trying the bath, too.

Every bird seemed to have its own "splashing style". I'd call his "exuberant".
The Thrush bathing.....videos were turning out better than still shots.
Redstart bath
This Grackle was trying the bath, too.
A Warbler I can't identify
One outside shot of some fungi on a tree. I wish it was possible to give a feel for how tall the trees are in this woods......they tower upwards seemingly forever! I feel like an "ant" or something when I walk there. It was such a gloomy day, we gave up on photos and went home, but I will go back and get more photos soon.
10 comments:
These are so fun Mary. Love the videos! Wish I could help you with the warbler...I'm trying to figure them all out here too! Good luck.
Your pictures show a very interesting place.I know the frustrations of low light and moving birds,arrgh.How fun to see some new birds,I think maybe the unidentified warbler is a Nashville.They all look so different in fall plumage.
Ruth
Eve: I think warblers are really difficult and I seldom see any, so I don't get any real feel for which is which.
Ruth: Thanks...it's a great woods, and their little viewing area is nice. The birds come right up close and I usually can get good photos, but it was dark and gloomy that day...even outside without the glass it was bad. Sigh. Thanks for guessing on the warbler. I've never seen a Nashville, so that would be a lifer for me.
Two new birds, Mary???? That is neat!! I love the Redstart---but that Thrush is amazing. I've never seen one. Beautiful bird.
Hugs,
Betsy
It was fun to watch the videos! I have a hard time trying to identify all those warblers! They look so much alike! Have a great new week!
I do love to see the birds bathing Mary. They seem to enjoy it so much. :)
Must be the time for new birds. We saw a new one (for us) while on vacation. I should post the photo and perhaps you will know what it is and can identify it for us. :)
I love watching the birds splash around. These were cute videos. Pretty little (unidentified) warbler.
Hi Mary well done under difficult conditions nice video's I will get my picture taker onto video,s next she hasnt quiet mastered still photography yet but I have to keep her on her toes. I cant take piccies anymore my ms seems to have taken something else away from me and now typing is getting harder GRRRRRRRRR HEEE HEEEE lifes a box of chocholates as Forest Gump said.
I really like your picture of the thrush bathing. I think you got some wonderful pictures in low-light conditions. Congratulations on your two new birds.
You have the most fun places to get pictures. Great finding new birds. I have the same old, same old. Have a wonderful week Mary.
B.
Post a Comment