Friday, October 2, 2009

Cabbage, Cresent, Dragon and Damsels....

Is it any wonder that the butterflies like this meadow?? The mixture of flowers right now is very nice, but the tall grasses sure give me problems.
I seldom can get focused on a Cabbage White before it flies away...this one was an exception.

Just to show size more accurately....a Pearl Crescent is much smaller than a Monarch, but when we crop our photos they end up looking the same size.

I like these little Pearl Crescents and they cooperate fairly well for photos.

....see what I mean? A perfect lay out for me to shoot!

This Painted Lady, on the other hand, refused to come out of the tangle so I could get a good shot.
Goldenrod may make some of us sneeze.....achoo!.....but it looks pretty and attracts bugs.
Wasps
I'm not sure what Dragonfly this is.

On the pond, the damselflies were swarming like crazy! I counted at least 12 in the area I was shooting.
I call this one "Still life with Damselfly"

They were laying lots of eggs
Singles and pairs everywhere
I think there are 8 in this photo if you count the mating pairs.
You will be happy to know that I have run out of butterflies from my wetlands walk :-)

10 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

No, it does no surprise me that they love that meadow. I would too. :) WOW!! What a lot of dragonflies. The perfect place to get pictures of them.

Kathy W said...

Wonderful shots Mary. LOL I can see why you enjoy that meadow. The golden rod is very pretty even with the wasp. =)

Eve said...

This was a good walk Mary. I just love the little crescents!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Aw,too bad,I am enjoying all your butterflies.We have had so few this year.I think the Goldenrod is such a beautiful flower,too bad it causes allergic reactions in so many people.
Blessings,Ruth

George said...

I'm sorry you've run out of butterfly photos to share. Perhaps you can get some more while the butterflies are still there? I enjoyed these wonderful pictures.

Dorothy said...

Lovely shots of the wildflowers and critters. I enjoyed the post!

Anonymous said...

Wow, two more great butterfly posts Mary. You are lucky to find all these lovely specimens at this time. We are running out of them now and only a few species are around.

Becky said...

Oh no Mary. I love coming to your blog to see the Butterflies ( and everything else too).
It's cold and raining here today. Not fit for man nor beast!
B.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh that Crescent is a gorgeous butterfly. I like the Cabbage White also--but that Pearl Crescent is fabulous.

Hope you have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

Rose said...

I enjoy the butterflies, too, and love those damselflies.