Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Left-overs......

Mike and I have been busy and haven't gone out to take photos for a few days. So I went back through my more recent files and found several things I had intended to post and didn't for one reason or another.....mostly forgetfulness, but we won't talk about that. This Red-Bellied Woodpecker showed up on the 17th after being absent for some time. I was glad to see him. You can see the red color that gives him his name. Most of the time you don't get to see it and wonder why on earth someone named it "red-bellied".

I think he knows I'm there.

Stopped by the wetlands one day for a quick look just as it started to rain. This guy was gazing out at the water looking rather like I felt at the time......bored and tired of rain. I couldn't make myself disturb him, so after a couple quick shots, I got back in the car and left. Didn't want to hike in the rain anyway.

A turtle looking out at the "red sea".

These 4 geese landed next to this turtle on the log and as you can see are trying to "stare" him into leaving the log to them.

He wasn't intimidated in the least. You can't see him in this shot, but he is right in the middle of them.....2 on each side....and everyone was happy.

Almost "Christmasy" looking....red and green and gold in the water.

A big "crawdad" hole. Crayfish to those in other parts of the country.

Flicker high in the tree. Had to crop it a lot....not great.


I read that we are now at "peak" fall color for southern Indiana. Maybe Mike and I will have to drive to the Hoosier forest and look for color, but there is plenty here in Evansville.

A nice mix. Even on gloomy days, the colors are beautiful.





Lots of yellows!



Gold in the water!

That's my left-overs! Now I will have to get out and take photos of something....anything!

13 comments:

Arija said...

Doubly beautiful colours with the reflectios.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

It is so beautiful around there Mary. That one of the leaves and things in the water is especially nice.

Eve said...

Beautiful colors Mary. I love the "Christmasy" shot!
I'm not sure if I want to see the praying mantis eating the hummingbird!! But I can tell you Morgan did not feed it to him!! :-)

Dorothy said...

Beautiful shots of your area and the colorful foliage. Love the Christmasy one, too.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, I'm trying to catch up on blogs. It may take me a year!!!! ha

I did read all of yours this past week. You have some great pictures of the birds and critters --especially at the wetlands. The lichen is unbelievable this year. Your colors are pretty up there.

And --those are great pictures of the Red-bellied and the Cardinal.

Hugs,
Betsy--who is THRILLED to be home 'finally'

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Now,that kind of leftovers I can take on a daily basis.Love the 'Christmasy' picture.The colors are gorgeous.Thanks for giving us 'leftovers'.
Blessings,Ruth

George said...

I'll take these leftovers any day! Great pictures of the woodpecker and autumn colors.

abb said...

Love that red, green and gold photo. And my red-bellied's must be staying with you - haven't seen many of them. Actually haven't seen many birds yet at all.

Becky said...

Yes, this was THE week around here to see the leaves, although some of the reds have gone. Beautiful colors Mary, and I love the woodpecker. I'm waiting for "mine" to return.
B.

Philip said...

Mary you have taken such beautiful pictures of your fall well done that woodpecker just looks like our Cardinal woodpecker Great !!

Anonymous said...

Lots of good left overs Mary. Lovely autumn colours.

sandy said...

Great shots of the woodpecker and love those fall colors. We aren't quite seeing the change in colors yet out here, but hopefully soon.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: A beautiful arrary of color, you captured some beautiful Fall sites. I don't know how many time my mond asked why it was called a red bellied when all I saw was a red head.