It's been dreary, wet and cold....which is bringing out the "home birds" seeking easy food at the feeders.
There are so many leaves on the driveway that the Cardinal and Dove have to look hard for their seeds.
Mrs. Cardinal thought she would try the tree instead.
The Chickadee is so fast that the camera doesn't focus well in the low light.
A whole crew of Doves.
To the right of the Dove is my little Goldfinch.....I couldn't decide if this one was just very young, very small, or something wrong with it, but it seemed to work hard to find food and eat and just looked so helpless while doing it.
Something about his wings or tail just doesn't look right, but I can't decide if it is age or something missing. Short tail? Short wings? She seems to fly well enough.
Looking at me! she looked lost in all the leaves and blended right in with them.
One of the Downys fighting over the suet.
Goldfinches everywhere! I have dozens of them swarming my feeders right now.
The House Finches and House Sparrows have a "chat" at the feeder....Goldfinches on the other side.
Goldfinch....House Finch male
Posing with the flowers :-)
This Goldfinch still seemed rather yellow.
Still molting in places.....so young looking.
A nice Hairy Woodpecker female to challenge for the suet.
Little House Finch....or "red finch" as I prefer to call them.
Titmouse eating a seed.....lots of vines and such obstructing my view!
He looks young and happy....Titmice always seem happy!
I may have to rethink where I put this shepherd's hook for the feeders.....I couldn't get a good Wren shot at all!
Our temperatures are dropping.....we even turned on the furnace.....so I'm sure the birds at the feeders will increase more every day. I had better start stocking up on bags of sunflower seeds for the winter! On sale this month at Rural King!
11 comments:
Great pictures of your birds, Mary. I'll be glad when we start getting more birds stopping by our feeders!
Hi Mary, You have the same birds that I have for the most part.. I don't have Hairy's (I don't think) since mine are smaller --so I assume they are Downy's. We do have quite a few Red-bellied Woodpeckers though. You have them?????
Supposed to get cold in TN this weekend. But--we are on the road to Florida!!!
Hugs,
Betsy
Mary: Very nice series of shots in the low light. I had three deer in the yard today and it was so dismal I don't know if I got a good shot.
You are having lots of birds.Send some our way,it's lonely out here.
Hopefully that will change soon.
Blessings,Ruth
Oh Mary I'm Jealious now...I will never see a Cardinal. According to my bird book they maninly on the boarder of Canada's East Coast and of course down South from that point on. The rest of your bird shots we have here...but the Red Cardinals are stunning...please take more pictures for me Mary. Post lots I want to see their stunning beauty.
Lov Crista
Dorothy: With the temps dropping the birds are coming...just wait!
Betsy: I don't see the Hairy as often as the Downy, but once in a while they stop by. Hard to tell sometimes. I always have at least one pair of Red-Bellied around somewhere but haven't seen them recently.
Tom: Isn't this dreary weather getting tiresome?? I so want to see some sunshine and take some fall color photos.
Ruth: Would love to send you some birds if I could :-) I'm going to have trouble affording to feed them this winter.
Crista: LOL! The Cardinal is the Indiana state bird, so I see plenty of them. Maybe I'll dig out some of my best old photos of them and do a Cardinal post just for you :-) During the summer they look pretty "ratty", but are starting to look brighter and nicer for winter. I even have a couple bald ones that hang around.
Great pictures, Mary! We're getting more birds at our feeders as well.
Now I know why they're not at my house - they're all at your place! LOL! Guess it's time to stock up on suet and seed. We need a new thistle container, too.
Thanks for the response about the kildeer - appreciate it!
:D
Mary, these are great captures. So crisp and clear.
Your feeder gang looks so similar to mine. I refilled everything today, and have had plenty of visitors, but no Wrens.
B.
Great birds Mary!! I'm sure you'll keep them happy this winter.
Post a Comment