More sunshine so we went to Blue Grass yesterday and the most entertaining thing I saw was a group of Mockingbirds. Usually mockingbirds are solitary birds, but in late summer they may hang around as a family (according to Sibley). There were about 6 of them.

This was the attraction......a small grove of Bradford Pear trees covered with pears and a stand of blackberry thicket at the base. They must be living in here because they were definitely guarding "their" territory.

The favorite perch was at the top of the different pear trees. I always "overkill" any subject, so here are a lot of photos of them.


They gave me lots of different views.

I thought a couple of them looked sort of young.

2 of them were really into chasing each other, which gave me a wing view.

....and of course the butt view.

He looks like he is about to attack me in this one!

This looks like a really uncomfortable place to sit to me, but I guess when you are a bird, it is very protective down in those thorns.

Do you think he could find a smaller perch?????

Ever watchful......they really did sit up there guarding.

And that is all.....aren't you glad?
I believe that I posted the blossoms on these trees back in the spring. This little grove seems so out of place in the middle of this stripper pit area, but it is very popular.
15 comments:
A lovel series Mary. It is always nice to get some action shots of them.
Mary those are really great shots. That looks awful painful on that poor little bird that is hiding in all that thorny brush. LOL that one does look like its about ready to fly down at you.
Mary,these pictures are fantastic.Having photographed Mockingbirds for the first time this summer,I realize that they don't really want to have you too close.I am in awe at these .Thanks
Blessings,Ruth
Love that wing shot!
Great shots! Usually it the Cedar Waxwings that your see in the trees like that.
Thanks everyone!
Dorothy...I was hoping there might be some Waxwings there, but perhaps the Mockingbirds scared them away.
Excellent post Mary!!! I have never seen a Mockingbird before. I don't think they come up this way...so your shots might be the closest thing I get to them :) By the way your Hawk shots are simply stunning wonderful to have noticed him...fabulous way to add some excitement into your day.
Great shots of those mockingbirds, and loved the ones taking off with the wings outspread. I can never get a decent shot, they always come out blurry. These were so enjoyable, thanks Mary.
We don't have Mockingbirds up here, so this is great. Cool shots Mary.
B.
Mary, I love your pictures. Those are great shots of the mockers. We have mockingbirds around here--but they don't come to feeders. SO---I seldom see them except when we are out in the car--and they fly across the road.
Love your pictures.
Hugs,
Betsy--who is on my laptop in Dillard, GA
I love the pictures and the post Mary! My favorite bird to hear singing! I didn't get to see them very often up north. I don't hear him often here by the house in the woods but there is one that lives on the road and he brings joy to my heart every morning when Morgan and I walk down to the bus and hear him singing away.
Mary: I loved your winged shot as the two took flight.
Great shots of an interesting bird Mary.
I see what you mean about the olive tree warbler on my blog they are very similar.
Olive-tree Warbler, Hippolais olivetorum
Great series, but I really like that wing shot - excellent!
Post a Comment