Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Vacation left-overs.....

Our road is being sealed this week, so I can't get out easily for a couple of days. I'm using up some vacation photos that I never posted until I get to go somewhere.
When we were in Seattle in August, our daughter took up to 2 different Japanese gardens. The first one has a large lake with pretty trees and shrines around it. We are never there when anything is blooming, but the trees are pretty. A large tree hanging over the water proped up on a wooden prop.
There are lots of Koi in the pond and I enjoy their colors. This post is mostly of the koi.

I kept trying to catch all the different colors, but they move a lot.

Sort of like painting in the water with lots of color

I like the yellow ones. People were feeding them.

Masses of color
A little boy was hand feeding them. After seeing their mouths open, I'm not sure I would want to do that.

There was a female Mallard nearby watching them, too.
She does not like the koi......

....and would lash at them with her bill when they came close.
She finally drove them away. I expected to see more ducks there. In the past there have been several, but this one female seemed to be the only one around on that day.
A dragonfly on a rope. A Widow Skimmer, I think.
More gardens tomorrow and then hopefully I will get out on Wednesday!

8 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

WOW!! What a fantastic place Mary. I love the way they do gardens. Everything looks so serene and peaceful.

Dorothy said...

Beautiful! Love the tree and the Koi fish! They look so tame and colorful.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I love those creative pieces of art,featuring the fish.What a neat idea.Hope your day is going well.
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great pictures, Mary. I love the koi.. We saw them at one of the gardens in Arkansas. Their colors are so pretty. I don't blame the mallard for not liking them. They are stealing her thunder!!!! ha ha

Hugs,
Betsy

Lindy said...

Gosh those koi are colorful, like fire in the water. Beautiful gardens, even if not blooming. Great photo of the dragonfly. I can never seem to get them with their wings open.

My unidentified bird has been identified as a yellow-headed blackbird.
http://tinyurl.com/ycll9gw

George said...

Thanks for sharing your vacation photos with us. We saw some beautiful koi at Garvan Gardens in Arkansas when we were there this past spring. But we didn't see any ducks feuding with the koi!

Becky said...

Those Koi look so much like the Carp we took shots of this summer. Same species I think, just so much more attractive, and more expensive.
B.

Eve said...

The gardens are beautiful, the koi are HUGE!! I don't blame that duck...I bet they'd eat a duckling if they had the chance!