Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Lilies, Red-Bellied Woodpecker, sunflowers, and a mystery plant.....

My double orange lilies are opening and I had to post a couple pictures! Look at all the buds on them! I'll be enjoying these for many days....

.....up close double orange.


I was surprised by this dark red one showing up, too. I didn't know I had transplanted any to that spot.

My red bellied woodpecker showed up while I was trying to photograph sunflowers, so of course I photographed him, too. He really wanted me to go away, so he could eat the suet.



My sunflower jungle is beginning to get out of hand. I should have my husband take a picture of me standing in the middle of them. A lot of them are taller than I am! Trying to drag the hose through without knocking them over is a real challenge.



OK.....this following plant was at the wetlands and I just love its fuzzy flowers! I have no idea what this thing is, so I hope someone out there will tell me! The bees really like it too!






Here are the flowers in multiple stages.
Thank you Sandpiper at Sandpiper Place ! Button Bush it is! This is what I love about blogging. So many nice people ready to answer your questions and share their knowledge!

(I'll post more wetlands flowers and such tomorrow)

16 comments:

Sue McGettigan said...

Lovely photos - those flowers are fab!

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Gorgeous pictures, Mary! I love the lilies. The mystery flower is Button Bush. Below is a Connecticut Botanical site that shows all sorts of wildflowers. It covers a wide range, so you're bound to find it useful. I sure do! This link takes you right to the button bush.

http://ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/cephalanthusocci.html

The Birdlady said...

oh, Oh, OH! My grandmother had tose double (triple?) daylilies growing on the bank in front of her house. I love them, and this post!

Mary said...

Sue: Thank you! And thanks for stopping by my blog.

Sandpiper: Thank you! I knew someone out there would know what it was! I wasn't even sure how to describe it to try googling it.

Helen: I believe that you are right about them being triple rather than double! I love them better than any other lilies I have and they seem to be very hardy. I'm not sure where I got them....probably at a plant sale, but I sure do love them and keep trying to spread them around my yard.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I love the sunflowers and the lilies Mary. What an unusual plant that Button Bush is, I have not seen anything like it.

Mary said...

Joan: Thanks! I had never seen one before either. Every time I go to the wetlands, I'd notice it and kept wondering what it was! There is another plant that I keep waiting to see bloom, because I can't figure out what it will be. Hopefully, I'll learn some of these mysteries as I go!

Becky said...

Mary
Those orange Daylilies are just beautiful. Especially the double one.
I'm envious of your sunflowers too. I don't have any this year, and that Button Bush is so different.

Mary said...

Becky: My sunflowers are just volunteers from all of the fallen bird seed under my feeders.....go throw a little black oil seed on some dirt and wait! If your feeders are over grass they don't do as well.

me ann my camera said...

I don't know what your mystery plant is, Mary, but its really interesting looking. And what wonderful sunflowers you have, and they are so tall already! I think I've mentioned before that looking at flowers and plants on your blog is a preview for me in my area as we are lagging behind a bit. I'm still waiting for our Tiger Lilies to come into bloom and you posted pictures of them in bloom a week or more ago!

Mary said...

Ann: Sandpiper identified the plant for me...Button Bush! I think it is interesting to see how your area comes along several weeks later with all the things that are already gone here...of course you also get things I never see at all....especially ocean stuff!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I am sure Lin will be able to identify it again as she seems to be an ace at knowing these things. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful flowers Mary. I like the sunflowers as it reminds me of my holidays in Tuscany. I also love the new header photo you have, it goes very well with the green sides.

Mary said...

Joan: Yes, Lin is always good for identifying plants for me.

Roy: Thanks! Sunflowers in Tuscany must have been wonderful!

Anonymous said...

It was Mary. The wine was good as well and the ice cream.!!

Eve said...

Thanks Mary! I love your sunflowers! I would love to have a field of them. I'm agreeing with Roy...Love the new header too!

Mary said...

Roy: Wine and ice cream....interesting combination!

Eve: I think there is something fascinating about sunflowers, especially when they are in large quanities and of all sizes. I can't remember where I took that header photo....how embarassing! I don't think it is in our yard anywhere....I just like looking up into trees that are tall!