Time out for bugs......I've been seeing some interesting ones lately!
A new damselfly at my home pond (actually on my lilies). I think it might be some sort of Bluet, but can't seem to find the exact match anywhere I looked.
(Tom, in Ohio says it may be a Fragile Forktail....thanks, Tom!)
This and the following shot are of a damselfly in the woods at St. Paul's Nature Preserve. No idea on this one. I find damselflies really hard to identify!
( I posted this one on BugGuide.net to see if they could identify it and the guess is that it is Argia Apicalis Blue Fronted Dancer female in the brown form. I think that I'll just photograph them and not worry about what they are....this is too confusing!)
Same as above
This bee just fascinated me watching it walk methodically back and forth across this flower gathering pollen! It's pollen sacs are so swollen, I can't imagine how it will fly away :-)
Busy, busy bee
(Tom, in Ohio says it may be a Fragile Forktail....thanks, Tom!)
( I posted this one on BugGuide.net to see if they could identify it and the guess is that it is Argia Apicalis Blue Fronted Dancer female in the brown form. I think that I'll just photograph them and not worry about what they are....this is too confusing!)
12 comments:
I am getting good at being first to comment, My timing is just right. LOL!! Hi Mary, you have some lovely photographs again especially your "12" spotted beetle. LOL!! I also find it amazing that these bees can fly with so much pollen on their legs. If we had to overload a plane like that it would never be able to take off, so how do they? :)
I love all the dragonflies, etc that you capture. I never realized there were so many kinds.
Joan: I know....isn't it amazing? That's a lot of pollen headed somewhere!
Rose: I never knew there were either, until this year! Other bloggers opened my eyes to looking at them, and now I'm hooked, even if I can't identify them :-)
Stunning close up shots Mary.
Love love love the pondhawk photos and damselfly...cool.......
and that green green green bug..wow.
Mike: thanks!
Sandy: I hope someone tells me which damselflies they are....I get weary trying to figure them out. Those metallic bugs were so bright, I thought they were unreal looking!
Mary- See if your bluet turns out to be some type of fork tail. Those exclamation points on look like a fragile forktail, but the color isn't right. It seems to have too much blue. I'm still learning.
Great shots.
Tom
Tom: Thanks for offering an identification! I'll see what I can find out.
Great pictures. I'm out looking for these creatures, but don't have much luck. I guess I need to change my walking area.
Becky: I've gotten so used to associating them with ponds and marshes that I was suprised by the damselfly in the woods and the one on my lilies! Find a pond with shallow edges, and I'm sure you will find some dragonflies.
Fabulous shots! I find it very difficult to identify the dragonflies and damselflies too!
But I LOVE seeing them! Keep those shots coming!!
Kerri: they are a lot of fun to photograph once you get used to seeing them. I can't believe that for years I've ignored these little creatures :-) That's the beauty of blogging....people make you see new things and you go out looking for yourself.
Post a Comment