
Mike and I decided to drive to Olney, Illinois.....home of the white squirrels! This is something that I've always wanted to do. I went with only a slight hope or expectation that we might get lucky enough to spot one. We did! This one even posed for us! We saw two and I took 75 pictures.........Do you have any idea how hard it was for me to decide which ones to post?????

White squirrel on alert
(On the way over to Olney we were listening to the Beatle's "White Album"....hmmm...appropriate now that I think about it!)

White squirrel looking at me.
I will post some more tomorrow.....along with the grey squirrels that they come from, which were also very cute :-)........oh, yes......we saw other stuff, too.
Here is the Olney website, if you want to learn more about them and listen to the song written about them.
20 comments:
Mary,
How unusual. We get black squirrels here, but I didn't know a white existed. I know what you mean about trying to make a decision about which photos to use and keep.
Roy: They really are unusual...albinos, but a large population of them in one city. I was really fascinated by them!
I've never heard of white squirrels before ... how interesting. It IS hard to chose the best pictures to post isn't it?
What a stunning creature Mary!! I have never seen one before.I would have taken so many pictures myself if not more. LOL!! Thanks for sharing. I look forward to more pictures of them.
Cicero: This little town is known for having them, so I've always wanted to go see some. I was so glad that we did manage to find a couple, although it was a nice drive and we saw other nice things as well. Apparently this is a pretty good time of year to find them in the local parks.
Hello Joan! They are certainly not something I ever see here at home! It was a great day. I get carried away taking pictures of anything I like :-)
What a surprise! You have really outdone yourself with this wonderful squirrel! I've never heard of a white squirrel. Squirrel Sunday is getting to be a real treat of a visit!!
We have white deer in our area, along with many theories as to their origin, but I never knew there were white squirrels. Thanks for sharing them with us!
wow, realy cute, and great pictures too. Newer seen white squirrels before!
Ann, Jan, and Moseplassen: I'd heard about them for years, but this is the first I've seen them. I guess all species have albinos, but they are really being reproduced here.
Jan: I'd love to see your white deer!
What neat pictures! And thanks for including the website - it was interesting reading the two theories.
WOW, Mary how rare is this ? I've never seen a white squirrel. Beautiful pictures. I can see why it would be difficult to decide which ones to post.
Annie: Thanks and it's always nice to know that someone likes to know more details about stuff :-)
Becky: I don't know how rare they are, but they were certainly interesting.
Hi Mary...we've been busy...but I had to stop by...love this little guy!! I still see my light colored mourning dove from time to time. I didnt know if it would live long being light but it's interesting that there are so many of these white guys running around there!!
Eve: I hope your coop is almost done....you've been working hard! Albinos are definitely intersting and I'm amazed by how wide-spread these little guys are in this one town.
I've never seen a white squirrel until now. And very synchronistic...listening to the White album (one of my faves)...
this was cool Mary.
Interesting post. We still have the native Red squirrel in the woods here. Love the stunning shots of the Dragonflies.
Very beautiful! Looks like a true Albino, huh! Great shots, Mary!
Cheers, Klaus
I've never seen a white squirrel in my life and you were even lucky enough to get some great photos.
Sandy: Well, I guess I sort of tell our age, by the fact we were listening to the Beatles :-)
Helen, Klaus, John: They were certainly unusual and I felt fortunate to actual see 2 of them.
Abbey Meadows: I'm becoming quite fond of dragonflies :-)
Post a Comment