Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Color and texture in the wetlands.....

It seems to me right now that there is a lot of color and beauty in the marsh at the wetlands. My eye focuses a lot on color and texture.... The Great Blue Heron against the yellow flowers and the green grasses....


......stalking a fish.....

.......strike!
.....a small reward for the effort.

I like all the different types of grasses and plants growing in the water.....colorful and great variety......short, tall, smooth, rough, willowy, sturdy

green on green


yellow on grey......smooth and rough

pink and green......smooth and bumpy.....even disease can be beautiful in a plant!

I call this tree trunk "the needle's eye"........I'm sure you can see why!

I could probably thread that one pretty easily.....if I were taller :-)

orange and green


shades of grey and green and yellow
white and green......I love these......so do the bees!

My lone goose......its never with the others .

Maybe it will find a mate in the young ones that are still there.

.....there are a lot of new geese to choose from!

grey, black, white, blue........ripples

There were more lovely and colorful things, but I'll save some for tomorrow in case I don't get anything new today :-)

15 comments:

Becky said...

Lovely colors and contrasts. Such a great post!
We still have plenty of geese around here too, and they will stay as long as the creek doesn't freeze this winter. Soon the adults will be begn flight lessons for the youngsters.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Lovely Heron action shots Mary!! I especially like the white and green one although the others are lovely too.

Mary said...

Becky: I've never seen them give flight lessons! Maybe I'll get to see that with these geese.

Joan: I was really enjoying the heron,and then someone scared all the geese off the hill into the lake and scared him away.

me ann my camera said...

The needle's eye is super! And I love Great Blue Heron tho I haven't seen very many around this year. And noticing texture, colour and design among all the greens must come as second nature to you, being the fine quilter you are!

Anonymous said...

Nice pics - I've been trying to catch the GBH in our wetlands, but the grass is so tall now he disappears when he lands.

Of course, I'm too stubborn to give up!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Sometimes you want to wring a few necks!! LOL!!

Mary said...

Ann: I just happen to be looking at that tree in the right direction and saw that needle's eye, and smiled.

Wren: Never give up! My heron isn't there every day, but I've gotten lucky a few times.

Joan: I think the heron would have come back, but a lady and her son came and fed the geese bread(which they aren't suppose to do here)...sigh.

Rose said...

Great capture of the GBH! Also love that needle's eye....
and that goose may have lost his mate. They mate for life to the best of my knowledge.

sandy said...

Great views of nature with this post and those tree trunks are so interesting.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

This is fantastic post, Mary! I love the GB Heron. They're so beautiful and fun to watch when they're fishing or doing a ballet. The geese are wonderful. I love the shot of the needle's eye. Perfect description. Beautiful foliage and flowers.

Eve said...

Another beautiful post Mary...I thought your needle looked like a person holding up a trophy!! Maybe because I used to be a big NASCAR fan!!! (Still would be but the coverage has just gone down hill).

Mary said...

Rose: I hate to think of that goose never having a mate again. That's sad.

Sandy: the tree trunks looked pretty rotten, but they did make a nice photo op.

Sandpiper: I see so few GBH that it is really special every time I do see one. They don't do much, but I just sit down on the boardwalk and watch it walk along in the water. Their movement always seems like slow motion.

Eve: I can see the person holding up a trophy now that you say that! But being a quilter, I definitely think of needles :-) My husband is a car nut, but he likes Formula 1 rather than NASCAR. I like tennis, myself....Wimbeldon is winding down, so maybe I'll get more pictures taken soon.

John Theberge said...

Very nice series, wetlands are my favorite type of environment to photograph. I live 30 minutes from the coast but rarely visit but I go to nearby ponds and rivers all the time.

Kerri Farley said...

Wow...a fabulous post! We have a marshy/wetland area that I have been visiting every week. I LOVE that HERON...He is beautiful! Fabulous series there. And that "needle" is AWESOME!!!

Mary said...

John: This wetland is about a 15 minute drive from my house and I can't believe that I never visited it until this year! Now I go several times a week and have seen so many different things there!

Kerri: Wetlands are definitely full of fascinating life! I only see a heron there occasionally, but it is worth it when I do!