This post is actually very depressing for me! I had lots of beautiful hummingbirds last year and this year I have had none......nada......nil......a few brief fly-bys.
Same feeder, same food, same spots in the trees. Nothing.
I didn't happen to take any pictures yesterday worth posting, so I will just show what I WISH I was seeing out there this year.
Wow - these a great pictures! I envy you - for I still haven't seen a single one ever! But don't you worry - they'll come. It was colder this year longer - so they might just be a little late! Cheers, Klaus
Hi Mary, Yep I think they came up in May when it was fairly normal weather...then it got COLD and they said...I think we'll head back where it's nicer!! I have at least two this year but have only seen a female. I heard squeeking the other day so figured there must be another around to fight with!!
These are amazing photos of the humming birds. I love them! I am sorry I have not been around lately, I really miss your blog. We are moving in about a month and we are so busy. My mom said she would put up a humming bird feeder at our new house.... --JB
I don't know if it is the same there by you, but this seasons weather is definitely not the same as last year either. Last year it was mild with lots and lots of rain, this year it is icy cold with not a drop. If there is one more thing you cannot rely on anymore, it is that the weather is prdeictable to the seasons.
These are wonderful hummingbird shots Mary. They are always so beautiful to watch when they hover around.
Eve: I was reading Sally Roth's nature column in Sunday's paper and she said that the hummingbirds have been scarce this year, too, so that made me feel like at least it was not just my house for some reason!
JB: Moving is a big job! Don't feel you have to apologize ever for not visiting me regularly. I also know that some people visit but don't always leave comments. We are all busy people and I spend WAY TOO much time on the computer and blogging, so I know others fight that also.
Joan: It's funny how your message always seem to come in while I'm posting a reply to someone else :-) The weather is definitely screwy any more. We are having a mild summer....not very hot yet at all and it seems less humid, but we have had adequate rain so far this year (too much in the spring). I know there are hummers out there, but they won't eat or pose....just fly up and then away. We had a drought last summer and maybe there were less natural flowers for them then there are this year. I just don't know.
Mike: I'm sure they will be back some day. It's just frustrating to have a year without them, but I did see some in Tucson last March. You'll just have to come to the states sometime! I know that you would taken really excellent photos of them with such detail that I'd be amazed at what I hadn't seen before.
Mary I know exactly what you mean. I only had one pair this year, and they have been gone for quite a while. I did see one the other day, but it didn't stay. I am now overrun with Sparrows, Grackles and all their kids, and Mourning Doves.It must have been a good breedingyear for them all. Also NO butterflies ? ?
Ann: I seem to be getting later in the morning getting started by the time I feed cats and birds.
Becky: It's kind of disturbing to know that many of us aren't seeing them this year. I've overrun with House Sparrows....which I usually don't have except maybe a pair or 2...and cowbirds. I'm not seeing my little birds....wrens, titmice, chickadees as much as usual. They are out there, but not visiting the feeder as much. Lots of woodpeckers, however! They apparently had an excellent year! I saw butterflies yesterday at an arboretum....but haven't seen too many at home.
I've had one visitor, and he obviously didn't like what he tried because he's never come back. I'd SO like to have a steady stream of hummers!
As far as other visitors - millions, it seems of purple/house finches, good amount or cardinals, VERY few chickadees, some titmice, lots of woodpeckers and many gold finches and wrens. No butterflies... Wonder what is going on...
I've been lifted up on Your wings of love, Raised from the grave of sin and despair, I can soar to the top of Your holy mountain Your wings of grace will carry me there. I will humble myself in Your sight, And bow low to the King of Kings! And wait in joy and hope and peace..... As I'm lifted on grace filled wings. (by Mary Freeman)
Christian, wife, mother, quilter, reader, writer, photographer. My blog title originated when all my blogs were one. Faith, Fabric and Photos is my main blog.
15 comments:
Wow - these a great pictures! I envy you - for I still haven't seen a single one ever!
But don't you worry - they'll come. It was colder this year longer - so they might just be a little late!
Cheers, Klaus
Great in flight shots. It's too bad they're not coming around this year.
Klaus: I hope you are right. It's depressing to not see them.
John: They are a lot of fun to photograph and I really miss them!
Hi Mary,
Yep I think they came up in May when it was fairly normal weather...then it got COLD and they said...I think we'll head back where it's nicer!! I have at least two this year but have only seen a female. I heard squeeking the other day so figured there must be another around to fight with!!
These are amazing photos of the humming birds. I love them!
I am sorry I have not been around lately, I really miss your blog. We are moving in about a month and we are so busy. My mom said she would put up a humming bird feeder at our new house....
--JB
I don't know if it is the same there by you, but this seasons weather is definitely not the same as last year either. Last year it was mild with lots and lots of rain, this year it is icy cold with not a drop. If there is one more thing you cannot rely on anymore, it is that the weather is prdeictable to the seasons.
These are wonderful hummingbird shots Mary. They are always so beautiful to watch when they hover around.
Eve: I was reading Sally Roth's nature column in Sunday's paper and she said that the hummingbirds have been scarce this year, too, so that made me feel like at least it was not just my house for some reason!
JB: Moving is a big job! Don't feel you have to apologize ever for not visiting me regularly. I also know that some people visit but don't always leave comments. We are all busy people and I spend WAY TOO much time on the computer and blogging, so I know others fight that also.
Joan: It's funny how your message always seem to come in while I'm posting a reply to someone else :-) The weather is definitely screwy any more. We are having a mild summer....not very hot yet at all and it seems less humid, but we have had adequate rain so far this year (too much in the spring). I know there are hummers out there, but they won't eat or pose....just fly up and then away. We had a drought last summer and maybe there were less natural flowers for them then there are this year. I just don't know.
I agree with Klaus, your very lucky to see them at all, the pictures posted here are absolutely stunning, I so hope you get chance to take more.
Mike: I'm sure they will be back some day. It's just frustrating to have a year without them, but I did see some in Tucson last March. You'll just have to come to the states sometime! I know that you would taken really excellent photos of them with such detail that I'd be amazed at what I hadn't seen before.
Mary I always seem to be a day behind! Maybe I'll check back later after you have had your morning tea and see what you have posted for today.
Mary
I know exactly what you mean. I only had one pair this year, and they have been gone for quite a while. I did see one the other day, but it didn't stay. I am now overrun with Sparrows, Grackles and all their kids, and Mourning Doves.It must have been a good breedingyear for them all.
Also NO butterflies ? ?
Ann: I seem to be getting later in the morning getting started by the time I feed cats and birds.
Becky: It's kind of disturbing to know that many of us aren't seeing them this year. I've overrun with House Sparrows....which I usually don't have except maybe a pair or 2...and cowbirds. I'm not seeing my little birds....wrens, titmice, chickadees as much as usual. They are out there, but not visiting the feeder as much. Lots of woodpeckers, however! They apparently had an excellent year! I saw butterflies yesterday at an arboretum....but haven't seen too many at home.
I've had one visitor, and he obviously didn't like what he tried because he's never come back. I'd SO like to have a steady stream of hummers!
As far as other visitors - millions, it seems of purple/house finches, good amount or cardinals, VERY few chickadees, some titmice, lots of woodpeckers and many gold finches and wrens. No butterflies...
Wonder what is going on...
Yeah!!! Wonderful hummer photos. You've reminded me I have some good ones that I'll have to repost soon.
Post a Comment