(Double post.....Be sure to see my nature post below)
This is basically steam released by the power plant after calcium has been added to the coal to remove the sulfur. It results in big piles of calcium sulphate ash like in the picture below. (My husband took me to see this, since he has been doing some engineering work there recently) I know that everyone won't find it beautiful, but it is "home grown" energy rather than foreign oil.
ADDITION: My husband has added this information in the comments: "You didn't mention that the calcium sulfate ash is now being recycled into filler material for such things as concrete and drywall, so other materials don't have to be mined for those purposes."
These stacks are near Mt. Vernon, IN along the Ohio River south of where I live.
.........near Princeton, IN along the Wabash River.
Looks pretty much the same, no matter where you see them!
17 comments:
Now there's a new touch to skywatch.
That's the nice thing about skywatch. It can't always be a beautiful sight. And smokestacks never are pretty.
The shots however are good! :)
Cheers, Klaus
Very interesting take on SWF. And I like it! Nice to know there's little air pollution being spewed out.
I was actually pretty impressed with how clean the emissions appear. I know they have made great strides in cleaning the air up over the years from stacks like these. Nobody wants to breathe bad stuff and they really do try to remove as much as possible. If we expect all the "modern conveniences" that require energy....heat, light...we just have to keep trying to find the cleanest possible sources.
You didn't mention that the calcium sulfate ash is now being recycled into filler material for such things as concrete and drywall, so other materials don't have to be mined for those purposes.
Mike: You expected me to remember all of that????? That is why I have a "resident expert" like you around :-)
Great pictures, Mary. I like the ones in your previous posts, too. I'm trying to gradually catch up, but it will take me some time to get into a routine. Thanks for visiting my blog while I've been sick.
A smoky sky!
I always feel guilty if I find smokestacks pretty.
Mary- fascinating. I'm always amazed how companies come up with ingenious solutions when the economics make sense, but usually thi s doesn't happen until some type of regulation begins- in this case, the requirement to reduce sulphur emissions. This scene is familiar to me...the plants along the Ohio in Ohio look very similar.
TOm
Tom: Well, I guess the nature lovers like ourselves just have to keep making sure that companies care about the environment.....and my health as well. Hope your Ohio River plants look this good!
That's a different SWF. Something most of us don't even notice. Nice find.
Nice shoots have nice weekend
Hallo from north Norway. Last week I saw all Sky Watch Friday photos and they were all great, and I hope to see them all this week too. I love to travel around the world this way.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful sky watch and have a great weekend!
Thank you everyone that stopped by!
Anneka: You have more stamina then I do....that's a lot of blogs to visit! I try to hit a bunch on them, but never try for them all.
Great SWF contribution.
BTW.
I am in a photocontest this week too please vote for me...
The picture is called * Himmelske farger*
https://lagring.online.no/sections/competition/view.php?id=11&sortby=votes
Thank you for helping me:)
At least it's steam and not smoke! Creative post.
Post a Comment