Thursday, July 31, 2008

From Greenbo Lake to Natural Bridge....

We started yesterday at Greenbo Lake State Park and ended up at Natural Bridge State Park. These images are at one or the other or in between. Kentucky is a beautiful state and this area we drove through is very mountainous and green and lovely to drive. Chipmunk in the tree eating the berries.
Cute enough for two pictures :-)

Wild turkeys.....first that I've ever seen. They were along the roadside between the two parks.


Remains of the old Buffalo Furnace. An old blast furnace that was in use from 1851 to 1900.

To me, an attractive pile of rocks, but to Mike very fascinating :-)

While he roamed around the furnace, I roamed the stream taking pictures of these Water Striders. They are so funny to watch. They constantly try to stay in one place, while the water is trying to take them downstream.

Very interesting to watch and try to photograph

Tobacco! We passed many tobacco farms along the road.

The tobacco was flowering. It is one of Kentucky's popular crops. I guess that Kentucky is a state of many "vices".....tobacco, bourbon, and horse racing :-) We hope to visit a distillary today.

We both would like to know what these bushes are and I'm sure someone out there can tell me. They were very beautiful lining this road and stream.

I especially like this area with the chickory and these bushes together with the water.


Blackbirds having a picnic :-)

The very highest point of this picture is a hummingbird sitting on the top of that tree....looks like another leaf :-) He was guarding a feeder at the lodge. The other bird is a catbird that was helping the chipmunk rob the berries in the tree. He doesn't hide as well as the hummingbird :-)

Hummer male

This was the skylift ride on the way back down from Natural Bridge. By that time the breeze and the pleasant rest was very welcome! It was enjoyable to ride up and down even without the scenery at the top!

One last photo of the bridge since my skywatch post has them also. I would guess that it is about 50 feet wide and you can walk across and stand on it. Terrific view of the mountains around!

Time to eat breakfast, and take off for new territory in the Lexington and Bardstown area :-)

9 comments:

kjpweb said...

Thank you for sharing and go have fun!
Cheers, Klaus

abb said...

What a wonderful new header, Mary! Your photos are are wonderful as well. I'm amazed you could even SEE that little hummer at the top of the tree.

John Theberge said...

Great trip you're on. Loved the chipmunk photos. I have a honeysuckle bush in front of the house and for the past week a robin has been coming and feeding on the berries.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Where do I start commenting on this one Mary? There are so many beautiful things in this blog!! What a wonderful day you let us share with you!! Thanks you!!

Stephanie said...

what a great day

Cicero Sings said...

That plant lining the stream ... looks like Japanese Knotweed to me and if so ... highly invasive.

That Buffalo Furnace is interesting and photogenic!

Mary said...

Cicero: Oh, dear...I think you are right after looking at pictures on the internet. It is too bad it is invasive because it really was quite pretty. I'm glad to know what it is...thanks!

The Birdlady said...

I am so enjoying your trip diary - you're seeing some great stuff...and that chipmunk is to die for! Thanks...keep enjoying (and posting, please.)

Mike said...

Waht a great looking place Mary, great photos and post.

The tunnel looks great not sure I would like to go through it during the night though.