It was a beautiful day and driving the hour trip over to Olney was a pleasure with beautiful clouds and golden grasses and Queen Anne's Lace all along the road side, and fields of corn or soybeans everywhere you looked.
We stopped in Olney and asked at a convenince store where we were most likely to find a white squirrel and the very helpful young lady told us to try the park out by East Fork Lake. This turned out to be good advice and this is a fairly large lake with a very nice birding area along one side with trails. We want to go back some time in the future. We saw several great blue herons and smaller birds in the distance, but there was quite a bit of boating going on and people fishing.
The minute Mike parked the car, I spotted a white squirrel in the park and jumped out and tried to get some pictures even though it was a ways off. He decided to head up this tree and we never saw him again. I was satisfied to just see one and would have been content with that! We sat and ate a picnic lunch and just watched for awhile in case he came back.
Hanging in the trees of this park are all of these squirrel houses made from old tires! What a great way to recycle tires! I want a couple of these! When we got home I looked on the internet and found this web site. http://www.squirrelhouses.com/buy.html
Think how much nicer this would be than a drafty leafy home???
We headed back to town to try the other park where they ususally hang out, but there was a county fair going on and not much hope for seeing any. Spotted this bird up on the wire.....Eastern Kingbird? Not a bird I really know, so a nice suprise.
Welll.....I got things out of order.....we did hike around a bit on the trails by the lake stalking dragonflies and damselflies and whatever. Mike took this nice fungi picture.
He also took this female dragonfly and I don't now which female it is!
At the town park we saw their regular grey squirrels, which are just as cute as the white ones :-) This is interesting to me, because they are not my usual Fox Squirrels from back home and this is just an hour from where we live. I knew there were grey squirrels around our area, but never see them at our house.
This little guy had found a fallen branch loaded with something good to eat....
.....and decided to ignore us in favor of the goodies.
Just as we were driving through town to leave, I happend to glance over at a very small little park where a man was feeding something.........sure enough, I saw one was a white squirrel! This one was so tame, I could get out of the car and walk all around taking pictures of it and it's friend.
He was tossing them grapes and I believe it is "wrestling" with one here.
.....searching for more
.......here he has a grape and is taking it up the tree to the little sitting post where I took many pictures of him.
I know that a squirrel is a rodent, but never realized how much they look like mice or rats until I saw this white one coming down the tree and don't have the fluffy tail in the picture! We used to have a pet white mouse that looked just like this in miniature! The tail makes all the difference in making you think "cute" instead of "eek....it's a mouse!"
Here he is showing off his tail for me :-)
Think how much nicer this would be than a drafty leafy home???
As we left town we decided to drive all the way around the lake before heading home. There were a lot of big beautiful homes along the lake's shores and also some farms on the other side of the road. We passed this one field full of horses and I thought they were really beautiful with their shaggy manes!
15 comments:
More great squirrel shots. It must have been a really nice day.
Thanks for sharing.
Glad you found your hit squirrel. Your pics are great of it - especially that grape-eating one. Looking forward to tomorrow.
Becky and Annie: Thanks! It was a wonderfully relaxing day and the squirrels were the "icing on the cake".
What a delightful excursion.
Katney: It was a very nice day :-) I need more days like this one.
My goodness Mary, this is such a fantastic blog, I do not know what to comment on first. LOL!! So let me go acording to the pictures....what a lovely idea for the squirrel house out of old tyres. Some brainy person came up with a great idea here.
That is very unusual fungi Mike took the picture of. Another forum which I am on has a nam who takes a lot of pictures of them but I have not seen this one before. Beautiful squirrels, dragonfly pictures. Those horse are so cute with their long hair. Love them!!
Joan: I always forget half of what I want to say when I start commenting, too and can't remember all the pictures I just looked at. I thought the horses were very interesting.....I'm not very knowlegeable about horses and we couldn't decide if this farm raised them or just pastured them for others with so many (12-15). I don't try to identify things like fungi....just enjoy them :-)
Great trip Mary...yest the little fellow does look like a pet rat I used to have....Ben!!! This was fun see you again tomorrow!!
Eve: But the tail makes him much cuter :-) My daughter had a hairless rat for a pet at one time...talk about ugly! Yuck!
All the pics are great and I think you must be really lucky to keep seeing white squirrels. That horse photo is gorgeous??? Can I draw that one horse?
Sandy: The white squirrels are all from one day...won't see any again, unless I go back. I loved the horses....sure, draw anything you want! I want to see the results!
Mary, thanks!! If I do draw it I'll put it on my art blog.
I might try it tonight!
How great to have such an interesting place just an hour away! Love the horse pictures! What a great day this must have been; even the picnic lunch mention for we do that sort of thing often in the summer.
Great post! This and the prior one of the squirrels! I have never seen a white squirrel.
And the horses are beautiful too!
Sandy: I'll be looking for your horse drawing!
Ann: It was a nice little town and we purchased the picnic from the lady who told us where to go look for the squirrels. The lake is really beautiful and I want to go back again and look for more nature stuff. Maybe this fall, if not before.
Kerri: The squirrels really stand out when you see them...I was really awed by them. The horses were so pretty and there was a whole field of them, but I had a terrible time climbing through weeds and a ditch trying to get near them to take photos through the fence!
Post a Comment