All of the sudden I have at least 4 Blue Jays hanging around. I am trying to decide if a couple of them are young ones. They certainly aren't small, but I saw at least one of them sit in the tree shaking its wings like the young birds do when they want food.
Gawky looking Blue Jay
(I always get hazy looking pictures through this window)
Do I look better this way??
I have had a surge of feeder activity in general and assume a lot of it is younger birds.
I call these young House Sparrows "The Brat Pack" ....there are several more that aren't in this photo!
I have at least 4-5 Downy woodpeckers hanging around! Early this morning right after I hung the suet back up, there were 2 Downys and 1 White-Breasted Nuthatch there, almost before I got back in the house. The feeder they were on is the furthest from where I take pictures and I didn't get any real good shots of all 3 trying to get to the suet at once.
This little downy spent about 15 minutes just hanging in that same spot while I tried to take pictures of it that didn't have dozens of twigs in the way.
7 comments:
Great post. I love it this time of the year when all the babies show up. Sometimes it's hard to decide what they are.
I especially love the Blue Jays Mary. Here it is very difficult to spot Woodpeckers as they tend to hide away, so you hear them but seldom see them. I am also seeing an increasing amount of activity at my feeders but naturally, it is due to food becoming less and less as the winter progresses. Poor birds!!
HAHAHA, the brat pack. Cute.
I have scrub jays that I have nicknamed "the pirates".
Great photos Mary.
Stunning bird the blue jay, great post Mary.
NIce lot of birds - except the house sparrows, who give our area bluebirds so much trouble! You want some more?
Becky: By the time they come to my feeders they are usually big enough that I'm just guessing on whether they are youg or not.
Joan: I seem to have more woodpeckers than anything else at the moment.
Sandy: I love that...Pirates! I could call these blue jays that.
Mike: Thanks...it is a pretty bit of color right now.
Helen: Good grief...NO! I'd give away these if I could! Can we crate them back to England???
WOW! You have a great variety of birds!! Fabulous post!
Post a Comment