Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Swans and Eagles.....

We drove to Henderson Slough to check on the geese and ducks yesterday and saw a lot of great stuff, but I can't say that any of the photos do justice to the subjects! It was really cold and windy and gloomy.Out in one flooded area there were 3 swans swimming with some ducks. We talked to another couple that was there and they said the office told them there were 119 Tundra Swans in the area. I have no idea where the other 116 were today :-)
They weren't doing much and I can't crop the photos much.

In the same area, there was a young eagle on the ground with some sort of prey. He jumped around a lot, was in and out of the water and generally doing battle with whatever it was.
My photos are so distant, I'm lucky to even tell it's an eagle :-)

I'm including most of these just to show how he was flapping and moving around.
We were trying to guess its age by the amount of white under the wings, but I have no idea. Definitely not an adult because the head was dark.
Looking around
In the water
Lifting whatever it is
Back down. We thought maybe it was too heavy for him to carry.

Flashing his white again

Got something in the talons
He finally flew away to the trees without it. The helpful people we talked to said there are 5 eagles in the area. More photos tomorrow of other stuff.....geese, ducks, turkeys.

11 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Sounds like it must have been fun to watch all this.It is always disappointing when the subject is so far away.Don't they know we want good pictures?:)
Blessings,Ruth

Becky said...

Even though it was a gloomy day, it still is great you can get out at all to take pictures. It must have been fun to watch the eagle.
B.

George said...

The pictures of the eagle were fascinating even at the distance you had to get them.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Gorgeous, Mary. I love seeing Eagles --and sat and cried at the Colts game the other night when they let an Eagle sore all over the field during the National Anthem... Sent chills through me....

How's tennis going?
Hugs,
Betsy

DeniseinVA said...

Fabulous photos Mary. I would be so excited to see that Eagle. We don't get to see them around here.

Dorothy said...

You are lucky to get to photograph an Eagle and the Swans, even if they were not close! Not many of us get to do that.

Lindy said...

It's so neat to get to see this much action with the eagle! We saw the one here on Sunday afternoon, but only briefly. He or she was in a tree (but not the nesting tree), then took off. Mike saw the pair on the nest the day before. Almost time!

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

It did look like a grey day and the birds look so fed up. Great pictures of the eagle and his catch. How lovely to be there and see it all. Ax

Eve said...

That is exciting Mary!

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! I had a lot of computer problems yesterday, so I didn't get around to these comments. It was exciting to get to see the eagle and watch how he acted.
Lindy: Glad to know you are seeing yours already. We will have to start checking the nest near the river and see if our pair is back.

Betsy: I was really surprised when they turned that eagle loose at the Colt's football game!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Love your eagle photos.