Friday, January 15, 2010

Catching up.....

Wednesday night I got hit with a 24 hour stomach flu bug and spent yesterday in bed. It's good to be up and feel a bit human again today. Isn't it nice that since we only meet in our blogs that we can't pass our flu germs around :-) Believe me...you wouldn't want this one!I can say for sure that my Mockingbird was not the victim of the hawk. He is becoming a bit of a nuisance chasing the other birds away from the feeders that he has decided ALL belong to him....even if he isn't eating and just sitting there looking at them. Greedy bird.
A new arrival this last week was the American Tree Sparrow. It is a constantly moving little bird and I haven't gotten very good photos yet, but here it is picking through the seeds on the driveway.

Another shot of it showing the dark spot on the breast that helps identify it.

As the snow began to go away, I had a brief invasion of Starlings.....several dozen. I wouldn't mind if the Mockingbird would chase them away!
My cute little Bluebirds keep showing up. This female is trying to decide if she can get on the suet feeder or not.
Made it!
They spend more time just staring at the food then eating it.
They are such pretty birds and Mike got the nest box hung in hopes that they might spend some time there in the cold and move in later for good.
Trying the other suet block. I guess it is time for me to take that bow off now that Christmas is over. (I still have my Christmas tree up.....isn't that awful??)

Mr. Bluebird looking things over.

This is sort of how I felt yesterday!

We made a trip to Henderson earlier in the week to check on the Snow Geese....still there....but staying back away from the road. I didn't get any good shots except a few of them swarming in the air briefly. We saw an eagle sitting in the distance on a tree, but again my shots are too poor to bother posting them.
We did see this one Red Tail hawk close as we were leaving.
Well, I'm going to go drink some tea and have breakfast and maybe later today I'll catch up with everyone's blogs.

10 comments:

CountryDreaming said...

Sorry to hear you've been sick, hope you'll feel completely better soon! It's a real treat seeing a Tree Sparrow in your blog. Only seen one once in my life. I also like the other variety of species you have pictured.

George said...

I'm sorry to hear about your bout with the 'bug'. I hope you are now completely over it. I really like your collection of bluebird pictures. I think they are a very pretty bird.

Dorothy said...

Mary, I'm so sorry you have been sick! Thank goodness it only lasts for 24 hours! Love your bluebird pictures. I don't think I've ever seen a grumpy looking bluebird before. Cute.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Sure hope you are feeling much better.The Bluebirds are such gentle looking birds.
Blessings,Ruth

Becky said...

I just love your Bluebirds Mary. They are so darn cute, and I feel like that one some days too. Ha Ha.
I'm glad your Mockingbird is still with you. There was a bird demise yesterday, and I think Azrael was the culpret! She has been stalking them for days now, and finally caught one. All I saw were small grey feathers, assuming it was a Junco.
Glad you are feeling better.
B.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh Mary, I'm sorry you have been sick. That kind of 'bug' is NO FUN... Hope you are better now. I know it takes a few days before you 'really' feel better.

Your bird photos are great--especially the Bluebirds. Ours have been coming to the suet feeders ALOT lately... I just love them so much... I keep on taking more and more pictures of them.

We've had a few Starlings --but not too many YET. I've never seen a Mockingbird at my feeders. Crazy, huh, since it is Tennessee's Bird!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy
Get Well SOON...

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Sorry to hear you have been so unwell Mary and hope you continue now in good health.

Your birds are so pretty - hope they all survive this winter weather.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Oh gosh Mary. I am pleased to hear you are over it now. How awful for you!!

Kerri Farley said...

Sorry you've been ill! No fun!
Love your little bluebirds!!

Rose said...

We went for a drive yesterday and I wish I had counted all the hawks I seen. Quite a number of them.

I hope you are over your flu bug! And I am glad we can't pass them to each other, but my family in Tennessee and us seem to catch stuff just a few days apart and I am always saying they are passing it to me. ha