I'm sorry....but the squirrels wouldn't come out in the snow for food yesterday. They said it was too cold and they would wait until today.
One squirrel was out first thing before I had time to put seed out. The rest stayed home all day. Bit of "frosting" on his forehead :-)
"Good.....that leaves more seeds for me!"
As you know, I don't like Starlings, but they do pose nicely (unlike my squirrels at times or many of the other birds).
I'm sorry...but taking a bath in the frigid outdoors does not appeal to me!
I guess with the heat element, it is kind of like a warm spa :-) But the Starlings were the only ones taking advantage of the opportunity to bathe.
Peanut Butter and Starling.....yum!
This was interesting.....our son saw a large bird swoop in and grab a small bird off the deck and go down behind the bushes. After he told me about it, I went outside to see if I could find any feathers or see where it happened.
This is what I found! A "hawk angel"! I thought it was really cool that I could see the imprint where the wings hit the snow and I think the tail.
This was interesting.....our son saw a large bird swoop in and grab a small bird off the deck and go down behind the bushes. After he told me about it, I went outside to see if I could find any feathers or see where it happened.
12 comments:
Good morning, MAry! Happy Sunday to you! Your header is so pretty! Star has enough stored fat that he can take a day off from the feeders. Interesting pix about the snow prints and birds.
Great closeup photo of the starling. It actually looks cute enough to forget what pests they are, at least for a minute.
I always thought squirrels hibernated only coming out for what food they hourded durring autumn,
being a farm boy, we was taught in school one of the reasons hedgrows always have new hazel nut and wild rose (Rose hip) plants because the squirrels always gather more than they need,what they leave or foeget where the stash is will grow the following year,
The squirrels around here were out all day yesterday in the snow. Would you like us to send some of ours up your way? We'll even let you keep your Starlings!
Ha---our squirrels surely do come out to eat when it's snowing or when there is snow or ice on the ground.
We have so much ICE --that it's hard to see any tracks... We did see deer tracks but that is it.
Love the pictures of your Downy... Such a cutie.
Hugs,
Betsy
Those Starlings are something else,to bathe in the cold weather.
Blessings,Ruth
Must be your squirrels were all snuggled up together out of the bad weather.
Cool snow prints.
I can't imagine even the Starlings taking a bath in this weather. Super shots of them!
B.
I just now noticed your poem, God's Wings of Love....Mary, that is so beautiful.
That is a great closeup of the starling.
Poor thing with the snow on its head!! I had to lagh at the one in the peanut butter jar Mary!! LOL!! Oh my goodness, what a pity you missed the hawk itself!! What a great shot that would have been.
Poor animals and birds - they really are having a hard time this winter. Lovely close up shot of the starling Mary, shows the beauty of its feathers. Ax
Great post Mary. The starling close-up is a riot! I love the struggle in the snow, fantastic!! It was most likely a hawk attack. Looks like the or mouse lost...where there any feathers left behind? I don't see any...maybe is was a mouse?
LOVE IT!!!
Eve: The first print...the "hawk angel" was definitly a bird victim, because my son saw it happen. The big one with the weird little wing prints...I have no idea. I figured a wounded bird with those dragged wing prints. No feathers anywhere, so I guess he flew off with it. There were no tracks anywhere, so it had to be another hawk attack. That hawk must be feeding really well at my feeders!
Post a Comment