Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Feeding Frenzy, fighting against the cold.....

I know that the grass in these photos gives a deceptive idea of the weather right now. For the last 2-3 days the temps have hovered in the teens. These photos were all from Sunday and it was very cold out there!The birds are in a feeding frenzy and flocking to the feeders and searching everywhere under them for food. I don't usually photograph 4 different birds at the same time....all searching in the grass for fallen food. I've had a lot of these Juncos the last couple of days, 3 Bluebirds, some White Throated Sparrows and many Cardinals.
Here it is the Junco, Cardinals, and House Finches.

The day started with a nice surprise! Just as I stepped out on the deck to put out seed, 4 deer were coming around our neighbor's house and ready to head across our yard. Unfortunately, they saw me and started back the other way. I went back in for the camera and by then they were in the field next door and trying to decide which way to go.

I felt bad about scaring them from wherever they were headed, but they chose to go back across the field and away from our house. At least I got a couple of photos before they disappeared!
This is a photo of a miserable bird! You can just feel how cold he is! Poor thing!
And just in case you weren't sure about that......"I'm freezing!!!!!"
I've seen more puffed up fluffed up birds sitting around in the trees and bushes.
This angle makes the Blue Jay look more white than blue. He seemed to be on guard while the other 3 were busy looking for food.
My first sighting of the Red-Bellied Woodpecker female for several weeks. I see the male fairly often.
Another fat fluffed up bird.....male House Sparrow. Makes him look cuter than normal.

The females were busy stuffing their faces with food.
A surprise visitor for this time of year....I think it is the Brown Thrasher hiding in the bushes.
He refused to come out for a better shot....darn!
And a fat fluffy Carolina Wren to "round" out the birds for Sunday.
This would be a perfect time for me to be doing the Backyard Bird Count, but it is a month too early!

12 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

Same weather here...and our snow from 12/19 hasn't melted yet. Love the last little "round" Wren! They are so adorable when they are all puffed up :)

Dorothy said...

This cold weather has really increased the bird activity around here, too. Love thos deer pictures! That little Carolina Wren is a funny little with an attitude!

Mary said...

Kerri: I'm tired of this cold, but I know it won't last that long, unlike the north where it lasts forever. All the birds looked cute when they fluff up :-)

Dorothy: Thanks...the deer were such a nice surprise. I really felt bad about scaring them, but it was too late to do anything about it once they saw me.

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, pin them all down for next month! (-: Looks like you're doing alot for the conservation of birds in your area! Lovely selection. We've got it cold over here too at the moment.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

These birds are sure fluffed up.Love that Mockingbird 'yelling' at you.Very funny,and a great capture.
Blessings,Ruth

Becky said...

Even though I can't tell it's cold by the pictures, those birds tell it like it is! How bout some snow to go with that cold? We have LOTS to share!
No new birds here lately. SO many Sparrows, Tree Sparrows and House Finches.I'm over run! I did see some Crows watching my birds feeding, but they stay away.
The Cooper's Hawk was here, and I guess you can say he was at my feeder, although he wasn't eating any seeds!!
B.

Lindy said...

What a nice variety of feathered friends today, but also what a wonderful thing to see those deer. They are so beautiful! Glad you have that great zoom lens! =D

Philip said...

The Sunday looked very fruitful to me that Cardinal is one of my favorites I wish we had them here I love the colour :)

Eve said...

Don't you hate it when you get great birds BEFORE the count Mary! Love the poor Mockingbird!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I saw about 7 or more deer on the golf course today, Mary. I ran to get the camera ---and guess what???? The battery was dead. By the time I changed batteries, they were gone... Darn!!!!

I have many of the same birds that you have. I know how much I hate the cold weather---and can only imagine how much the birds hate it!!!! Yipes.
Hugs,
Betsy

Arija said...

Your bird shots always amaze me.
That little Carolina Wren is such a darling. It is astonishing how something so tiny can survive such harsh conditions.

Katney said...

That puffed up fluffed up look probably proivdes some pretty good insulation.