I haven't been out the last few days and only seem to take photos of the Bluebirds at my feeders....no new visitors right now. We are having the sort of weather that makes it seem winter is going away....very deceptive, since it is only January! Our temperatures are heading up into the 40's and even possibly 50.
We were getting ready to go somewhere and I saw this icicle hanging from the house.
I went back through some photos from before the snow to see if there were any I hadn't posted. The White Throated Sparrow is here year round, but I notice it most when there is cold and snow. Then it comes to the feeder area with the Cardinals and other sparrows and checks out the "Driveway Diner" every day.
The White Throat is a really pretty sparrow and I enjoy seeing it. Here it is with a female House Sparrow.
The female Cardinal waiting her turn.
The Towhee came out during the snow but I never got any really good photos of it. It hangs close to the house or close to the bushes at the end of the drive....neither place is very good for photography from indoors. This Towhee is the fattest roundest Towhee that I have ever seen!
All I seem to be getting photos of now are Bluebirds...a novelty for me :-) The female loves to pose and offers great opportunities just sitting there patiently wanting ....something. They don't seem to be very aggressive eaters. They spend a lot of time just sitting near the food.
Two of them tried to eat the suet at one time. It seems to be their only food of choice that I have other then some peanut butter.
I hope to take down the Christmas tree today.....about time! Maybe I will get out later....or not. By the end of this weekend, I hope things will be sort of back to normal and I will feel 100% better again. Right now, I'm just tired.
18 comments:
I for one am very happy to keep seeing new Bluebird photos from you. They seem to be this year's winter delight, just like the Pine Siskins were a common theme last year on people's blogs. (And yes, I remember cool things like that!) Hope you'll continue to feel better.
We're getting more pictures of Bluebirds than anything else as well. We seem to have half a dozen or more and are excited that they are coming to the feeders. Suet is definitely their favorite food at our 'diner'.
I sure would enjoy the bluebirds...they are so very pretty.
Very nice pictures of your birds today!! I love to see those bluebirds! They are probably waiting for you to buy some mealworms for them! Wonder why we don't have Pine Siskins this year. Is it too early?
Country Dreaming: You have a good memory! I didn't have any pine siskins so far this year. I wonder where they all are? And where were the Bluebirds last year and why are they here this year?
George: I'm glad you are sharing in the Bluebirds....they certainly are fun to see! I wonder why they found us this year?
Rose: They must be coming further south if I have them and George in Tennessee has them, too. Hopefully they will move up your way, too.
Dorothy: I don't know about the Pine Siskins. I haven't seen any all winter. Usually they are mixed in with the Goldfinches. I didn't have a lot of Goldfinches either....maybe a dozen at best guess.
Lovely shots Mary.
Reference the Towhee, birds tend to fluff their feathers up in cold weather to keep warmer so they have the appearance of being plumper.
Hi Mary, I'd love to see a White-throated Sparrow.. I've never seen one. I read an article that they are in the Smokies. Wonder if they are here --and I've just been missing them.
We have Towhees around --but I don't seen them anywhere near the feeders --or even on the ground. I would recognize them.. You do have a FATTY one there, Mary.... Cute!!!!
Hope you get your Christmas down and put away. I always hate that job but it feels good when it's all finished.
Hugs,
Betsy
Go ahead and post all the photos of Bluebirds you want to Mary. You do a fantastic job! They are so soft and sweet!
I'm still waiting for something new. At this point I don't care what it is. Way too many Sparows and House Finches this year. Guess I'm too picky.
B.
Nice chubby towhee.
must be stocked up for the rest of the winter. and another nice set of birds. not been out much in the last week I must get out as the Nile is real low and a lot of the sand banks are showing problem is not even the little fishermen's little boats can get near the birds,
Warm here too - didn't even have to wear a coat!
I am so envious of your bird photos. Wish I could get that close to mine.
I always enjoy seeing all your birds.The Bluebirds are so cute.
Blessings,Ruth
Roy: I guess I know that about birds, but have just never seen a Towhee looking quite so round. Shows how cold it was this winter so far!
Betsy: I bet you have the White Throats, too. They tend to stay in the underbrush and dig around in the leaves, as does the Towhee. Mine have learned to come with the Cardinals, Juncos and House Sparrows to the seeds near the bushes. What I didn't see this year were any White-Crowned Sparrows...I usually have a couple.
Becky: You must have my House Finches. I only saw a couple this year, but I have had a lot in the past years with eye problems, so maybe they aren't doing well here.
Tony: I didn't see much of anything today except the "ground crew" cleaning up the mess from the snow days.
Annie: I certainly don't mind the warm at the moment. To get the birds that close you have to be willing to put up with the mess right by the front door and on the deck. It gets pretty awful this time of year and I will need to get busy and clean it up soon.
Ruth: Thanks!
Weather here a lot warmer now too. Thank goodness, I do feel sorry for the poor little birds.
Hi Mary, my phone line (therefore my comp too) has been out of actions for several days, so I'm just now catching up! Sorry to hear you've not been well, but glad that you seem to be on the mend now. I love those Bluebirds and that is a lovely new header photo! (-:
That header photo seems as if I could reach out and touch that fine feathered friend!
Nice post and pics Mary, those cardinals look amazing. Mike.
Anne: We're really warming up...may be 50 on Monday.
Jenny: Sorry you have been disconnected but glad you are back on line. I've really fallen for the female bluebird :-) She is so sweet looking.
Patrina: Thanks....I wish I could touch her!
Mike: Thanks....Cardinals are pretty and always there...what more can I ask?
So that's where our bluebirds went. Well our western bluebirds anyway. We only get them here about two months out of the year and then they fly away.
Post a Comment