Wednesday, January 20, 2010

More Blue Grass FWA......

This was the first time we've ever gone to Blue Grass in the winter. It was so cold and stark looking on this cold day, but if the sun had been shining, the grasses would have been lovely around all the lakes and hillsides. A distant shot of one of the 28 "pits"....I call them lakes.
When I realized the lakes were frozen, I didn't expect to find much, so I started taking photos of ice and grasses :-)

The first Heron we saw was just standing on the ice, looking like it's just another day at the lake.

Lift-off!
We saw a total of 9 Great Blue Heron! When we pulled into one parking lot we scared 4 into the air at once, but of course I didn't get a good shot of them as they sailed away to a less "busy" place.
Reflection of some grasses.
This is the first time we have ever been at these lakes and not a single fisherman was there :-) Usually you can count on at least one per lake and usually more, which can be frustrating for photographers.
The waving grasses along the lake edge.
I'm always surprised by how tall this grass is.
Looks like an island out in one of the lakes. Since normally everything is growing and green, it was a different look at some of these places.
Another bird wondering when the ice will melt.....it's in the process! There were quite a few gulls in the area.
A gull skimming along against the grass.
A bush in the icy edge of a very shallow lake.
A place where ice is melting and the grasses framed it.
Some of the "orange" grasses along one lake. I really would have loved to have the sun shining, but the gloom may have helped my photos! I saw more birds, and will post more tomorrow, although I didn't get great shots of some that I wanted. Cold fingers?

10 comments:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: You captured the beauty of the marsh in the winter.

Mary said...

Tom: thanks!

me ann my camera said...

Great grass pictures. I love old dried grasses in the winter time. Its difficult to imagine they were green just s few months ago. Just think in a few more months, it will be spring again. I think the seasonal changes are miraculous. I sm esger for seasonal chsnge again.It must hsve been s nice surprise to find s greast blue heron there. brrrr. its feet must hsve been cold.
Ann.

Dorothy said...

Whatever the season, you manage to find something pretty and interesting to show us. It's great that you have these places you can go to see wildlife and birds. Happy Wednesday!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

The pictures are lovely and probably would have a very different look in bright sunshine.Of course I love the reflections a lot.
Blessings,Ruth

Rose said...

Those grasses really would be lovely with early or late sunlight! Though I find it kind of hard to get captures that make me feel what I was seeing.

Anonymous said...

Nice winter scenes and great new header Mary.

George said...

I would say you got some wonderful pictures during your visit to Blue Grass. The wetlands are fascinating in winter and the beauty shows through even if the sun didn't cooperate.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Even in Winter, you captured some great pictures at Blue Grass, Mary. There is something about Winter Beauty!!!!

Gorgeous pictures.
Hugs,
Betsy

Becky said...

Things do look awfully cold, but you did get some great shots. Love the grasses., and all the Herons.
B.