Saturday, January 30, 2010

Finishing up our Howell Wetlands walk....

These are my other shots from Howell on Wednesday. The boardwalk leading back into the wooded area.
Beaver damage?
Perfect balance

OK....this one looks like a butterball turkey waiting to be put in the oven!
I took lots of geese shots, but will save them for some other day.

Saw several logs covered in this lovely orange fungi. I love the pattern and color.

Another view

This one had these veins of white between the orange.

Some older fungi on an upright tree.

Covered and lovely
We saw 3-4 Robins really digging in the leaves hoping for some nice dinner.

One of the bridges.
Ice patterns on the water's edge
Curly bark on a downed Birch
A few home birds to round things off. I've still got 3-4 Bluejays hanging around each day.

Mr. Mean!
This Mockingbird has become a real pest trying to scare everyone else away from the feeders and keep everything for himself. Greedy!

Protecting the suet.
He was bothering a couple of Carolina Wrens that wanted some suet....
.....one of them refused to leave and "told him off" with a few tail flips and wing flaps. It was pretty funny but hard to photograph :-)

6 comments:

diane b said...

You have taken great photos on the walk. Ice on the water sounds a bit cold. Your bird shots are fabulous.

George said...

I had to chuckle at your picture of the butterball turkey -- what a great picture and caption. Actually all of your pictures are wonderful.

Mary said...

Diane: At the moment it is WAY TOO COLD here! And snow!

George: He just looked so funny, I couldn't resist. He better watch out....he'll have people thinking goose for dinner.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Love these pictures.I want to walk down that boardwalk in spring.The fungi covered logs are gorgeous.Thanks for sharing these.Have a great day.
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, Beautiful pictures of the wetlands --and of your birdies. We don't have any Mockers here --but we do have a very un-shy Carolina Wren--who loves the feeders.

Hugs,
Betsy--the Snow Lover!!!

Becky said...

My goodness, you have some excellant shots here Mary. I love all the fungi. I never seem to notice any in the winter.
B.
I love your header!