I know Bluebirds aren't exciting to everyone, but I don't usually have several hanging around for the winter. I don't even usually have them in the summer since I don't have a nesting box. (I bought one this week!)
First there were just 2, but yesterday I saw 3 of them out there!
Their color is so pretty! They sit there fluffed up and cold looking.....hoping I will put something out that they can eat. I'm trying to figure out what to put out that will make them happy.
They pick around in the seeds and eat bits of suet, so I hope they stay awhile.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
22 comments:
LOL!! They are probably waiting for mealworms. :)
What pretty birds Mary. When birds or animals are seen so out of season I always wonder if they know something about the weather we dont?
Mary why not try some bonemeal that might work
Lucky you Mary. I see and hear the Bluebirds but they don't stop at my feeders! They really are just the most beautiful bird!
I love the new header! So cute and funny! Hope it warms up for you, and me too!!! They are preparing to shut everything down tomorrow...and inch of snow will do that around here!! hahaha!
Beautiful pictures. I've never seen a bluebird!
What a beautiful bird Mary, lovely shots.
What a special treat to have Bluebirds at your feeders!Thanks for showing these lovely pictures.
Blessings,Ruth
I'd say seeing winter Bluebirds of Happiness in your backyard is a special occasion. They're so cute ... Hope they stay warm! According to Wikipedia, Bluebirds will eat raisins soaked in water.
Joan: I might consider mealworms if they stay around in the spring and have babies, but I'm not buying expensive frozen stuff for sure.
Phillip: thanks for stopping by and for the suggestion.
Eve: I do hope they stay. We are due for a few inches of snow, too but Evansville is used to that and our snow clearing people are very good with the roads.
Peggy: I don't see them often...they are really gorgeous when you see them this close.
Roy: Thanks!
Ruth: Thanks!
They are gorgeous...I wish I had them hanging around my house! You got some Wonderful shots of them :)
Mary, you really got some nice shots of your Bluebirds! I really enjoy seeing these birds. I think they use those bird houses for shelter on some of these cold winter nights. Sometimes I see a head peeping out when I go outside.
I love bluebirds! I get so excited when I see one, it's such a treat! God is good!!
Country Dreaming: I put raisins in the new mix I made.
Dorothy: As soon as it is a little warmer I will have Mike outside with the box and a hammer :-) Now if I could just find a good spot.
Linda: Thanks for stopping! I just found your quilt blog and will be back to browse more!
I would love to have Bluebirds here. I have one pair that will set up housekeeping in the spring, but then never see them again.
Gorgeous pictures Mary.
B.
Kerri: I do hope they stay...so colorful and pretty any time of year!
Becky: I will try a nest box this year. I'm not sure where to put it. The best place is probably the middle of my back yard, but I don't think I will put it there. The ground is so hard right now to put in a stake anyplace.
We have more bluebirds this winter than we've had before as well. They seem to prefer suet to just about anything else. We haven't gotten mealworms for them either, although Betsy keeps threatening to get some.
George: I had a friend who raised mealworms and when she moved out of town wanted to give them to me to raise....nope....sorry.
Hi Mary, Our blogs AGAIN were very similar today. We both showed off some of our Bluebirds. Mine don't seem to like the sunflower seeds --but they love the suet... I also put some raisins out --and they like them also. I'm so pleased (like you) to have them this year.
Thanks for sharing yours.
Hugs,
Betsy
Bluebirds are lovely at all times!!
I would love to see bluebirds here. In the spring, we will have to make a trek to Bickleton, which has a wonderful Bluebird Trail maintained by the community. When I was a Camp Fire leader, we made some houses and took them up on CampFire birthday to replace broken ones and add to the trail.
That's wonderful! Did they forget to migrate???
Cardinals and Bluebirds!... Both are fairly rare sightings in my yard no matter what the time of year! You are so fortunate to have such feathered visitors of suxh beauty hanging around
They have definitely been a surprise and today there were 5 out there! They do live here year round, but I don't usually see them in winter. I'm really thrilled but wish the weather was better! Mike is going to try putting the nest box up as soon as it is a few degrees warmer to get out there and work. We are going to try it on a young maple tree which is not the best choice.
Post a Comment