Wednesday, January 27, 2010

More Henderson Slough....

The first geese we saw were some Canadas at the edge of a field close to the road. My closest shot all day!
More of them were in the shallow water. A conservation guy was sitting there in a truck, so I asked if the Snow Geese were still around. He thought the main mass had already headed back up north.

4 geese a flying


I liked this shot because you can see the 3 Snow Geese in it as well as the Greater White Fronted and Canadas and Mallards.

They happen to lift off fairly close to the road, so I got a few decent air shots.

Flapping away
A mixed group in the field

A larger group. They seem to "segregate" themselves to some extent. The Snow Geese stay together and the WhiteFronts and Canada mix. The Mallards are all over the place.

Hmmm....I must have taken this one since the grass is in the way so much. This was the biggest group of Snow Geese I saw in the field.
A lake full of Mallard males.....not very good light, but the green heads certainly show up!

Some Pintails way out in the water.

As we were passing a grassy wooded area, I told Mike it was a shame we never saw turkeys.....
....Ta Da! I didn't know all I had to do was ask for them! There was a long line of them along one edge of the grass heading into the woods. Probably 50 or more. It was hard to find a spot that I could shoot through the tree branches lining the edge of the road.
The last few disappearing into the woods.
Hey, Roy.....sheep! I found a few! We took a different road on the way home and there they were. Mine don't pose as nicely as yours :-)

The only lambs were up the hill behind a lot of fencing.

A few odd shots....this was from the car window while stopped at a traffic light! Of course the light changed before I could snap anything more close.

We went down the "butterfly road".....if you remember it from last summer....and saw this mossy bank. I probably took photos of it back then, too. We didn't expect to find butterflies, of course, but thought there might be some hawk or deer in the area.

I like these roots on the bank. Home for little creatures of some sort?

12 comments:

abb said...

I LOVE roots and that last shot is beautiful! I've never seen that many birds here in CT. Lovely photos as usual.

abb said...

And I'd really like to know how all those birds keep from flying into each other!

Dorothy said...

Another really good and interesting post. You are so blessed to get to photograph these beautiful birds! Love the moss and the roots!

Mary said...

Annie: That is a good question! I guess they have a "built in radar" that keeps them from hitting each other. I always like how they all know when to turn at the same time. When they are lifting off the ground like this they need some space...seems even harder to not hit each other!

Dorothy: Thanks...it was a good day.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I especially liked the last two pictures.The moss is so bright green,and those roots,wow.I can hardly wait for the geese to start showing up here,but they had better wait awhile unless they are wearing snow shoes.:)
Blessings,Ruth

Becky said...

I can't imagine seeing all those geese and ducks together. It must be so noisy too.
You had a good day, and I see your internet is back.. Yea!
B.

2sweetnsaxy said...

I like these. Roots of trees can be really fascinating, like the one you shot. I would love to catch geese in flight but I always seem to notice and aim too late. By the time I focus they're gone. :-(

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Oh my but that is a LOT of geese!! I simply love that picture of the roots of the tree Mary!! That is an incredible shot.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Lovely, lovely pictures Mary. I particularly like the ones of the 4 geese in flight and the tree root.

Eve said...

Yeah Mary! Love the snow geese and turkeys! And Sheep for Roy!! The mossy woods is also something out of the ordinary, very cool!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hope your internet is fine now...

Love seeing your birds. I've never seen that many Snow Geese in one place before. WOW....

Love your other pictures, Mary (the roots, the moss, the sheep, etc.)...

Hugs,
Betsy

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Beautiful capture of the large flock of turkey and all the geese.