Friday, May 8, 2009

SkyWatch Friday.....

My SkyWatch today is over Ellis Park Race Track in Henderson, KY.
The only reason I happen to be there, was because as we drove by, I spotted two white heads in the shallow water along the edge of the property. Ellis Park is is one of Kentucky's horse racing tracks.
The two white heads turned out to be two Egrets....something I have never seen in Evansville before.
I think they were looking for little minnows in this flooded grass area.

This is an area close to the Ohio River and high water causes flooding in a very large area close by.
We were returning from checking on the eagles on the other side of the river. Papa eagle still standing guard when we arrived, but he took off soon afterwards.
We think that is the chick's head in front of the mother bird.
I'm so tired of looking at photos trying to spot the chick! It's amazing how many twigs look like they could be a chick's head from this distance.

Right across from the race track is a Tobacco Road gas station and I have seen this groundhog there several times.
I think I will call him "Smokey" since he lives at Tobacco Road.
He sure likes the clover!
That is my SkyWatch and other photos for today!
For more SkyWatch click on the icon on my sidebar.
There is always something new to see in the sky!

13 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I am sure that soon one of those "twigs" is going to start moving for food to be put into it. :)

These groundhogs are strange looking ritters. Love the egrets Mary.

penny said...

Mary, all your photos are wonderful. Have a nice weekend

The Birdlady said...

Groundhog in the clover - what fun!

Carol said...

Great photos...you made that race track look pretty...I love the egrets...nice shot of the eagles, I didn't know they nested in Ohio, where was that taken?

Mary said...

Joan: We are pretty sure that one little grey spot is him.

Pam: Thanks! You, too.

Helen: He was very cute.

Carol: They are in Henderson, Kentucky. The Ohio River runs between Evansville, Indiana and Henderson, Kentucky in this area.

abb said...

I spent a week in Henderson KY about 8-10 years ago for the Babe Ruth Bambino World Series with my son. Good memories. Also had bergoo (sP) for the first time. Not too bad...

Wonderful SWF photo. Can't believe you don't have egrets in Evansville!
Ground hogs....garden mauraders!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Beautiful birds and your goldfinches are so different to ours.

Mary said...

Annie: Cool! You need to come back again :-) Hmmm...Burgoo...Mike is the burgoo eater in this family. No barbecue? No brain sandwiches? Even Alton Brown came to Evansville for a brain sandwich. We may have egrets...I just haven't seen them here! Well, this groundhog is doing his maurading at the gas station, so that is fine.

Babooshka: Yes, there is quite a difference if yours are the European ones I see on the English blogs. Ours are more "gold"!

Leedra said...

The groundhog is cute, but I really like the 1st Eagle photo, with him on the lone tree.

Leedra’s Photos For FunLeedra’s Greeting CardsPhotography By Leedra

Becky said...

Egrets are so beautiful. I like how the two of them have the same stance.
The Eagle was around here this morning, but we were away, and I didn't see him.
I think that IS the baby in both shots.
B.

Mary said...

Leedra: That seems to be his favorite spot for watching the nest, which makes him easy to see.

Becky: The egrets were so pretty and I wanted to get closer. We were standing on a high levee looking down on them, and I knew I couldn't try to get down the side without them getting spooked.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Great shots! I think egrets are so graceful and beautiful. And look at that eagle! How cool is that? I've never seen on in person.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Wonderful captures throughout, Love your Egret photos. You are capturing so much diversity lately.