
Every year I have this one beautiful white iris. It never seems to spread, but the one plant is very faithful. Very tall, too. I have to stake it. There will be 3-4 blooms before it is done.

It appears to have an intruder

My rhododendrons are blooming and I just love them! I like rhododedrons better than their cousins, the azaleas, because the flowers are more distinct and surrounded by green rather then the mass color of the azaleas. Both are lovely. I decided that I would not be getting any dry photos of them, so you will have to take them with raindrops.

I have two large bushes of them by the front door.

There was a spider web hanging there that morning, and I realized that I have no idea how you get the camera to focus on something so fine! This was the best I could do. Most of the time, it shot right through the web like it wasn't there.

I'm always surprised when I download photos and find some that I don't remember taking! Mike saw this Brown Thrasher in the drive one day while I was doing my computer work and took a few shots.

An interesting perspective :-)

This is one of the younger male Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks. Note the back on it, with lots of brown......

....and compare to the breeding male with his fully dark black and white back.

He was posing rather nicely for me in the dead dogwood tree. Finally brave enough to come close to the house.

He looks puzzled.

A cute little Carolina Wren....haven't seen them much lately, but sure hear them all the time.

Showing off......courting behavior?
After this they both flew into our garage and one of them disappeared on the top shelf between some stuff.....oh, oh......a nest in the garage??

A rather handsome Blue Jay stopped by.

Found a prize among the seeds in the drive.
There has been a lot of bird activity lately and I expect to see a lot of young birds soon. The downys almost always show up with babies for Mother's Day. They have been very active at the suet, so I figure they might be feeding some wherever they nest. I hope so!
14 comments:
The expression on your rose-breasted grosbeak made me laugh - he did look puzzled! Enjoyed all the flower photos and your other birdy visitors too! :-)
I love the iris with the intruder Mary. A fantastic shot.
Beautiful!
Wow Mary, you are way ahead of us. My Rhodies are still tightly budded, and no sign of any Iris yet. I had a beautiful Azalea until last winter whan the heavy snow did a number on it. I just hope I get a few blossoms.
Love those Carolina Wrens. I wish mine would come back.
Have a wonderful week-end.
B.
Shelley: For some reason it looks like he has his eyebrows drawn down and is studying me very carefully :-)
Joan: I realize that the bug would have been your favorite part :-)
Keri: Thanks!
Becky: Good...that means with get to see your lovely flowers when mine are all gone!
Your post is a ray of sunshine on a dreary rainy day.
An Arkies Musings
Richies: Well, thank you! We're having a lot of those dreary rainy days, but get a few rays of sunshine every once in a while.
Each picture is beautiful.I do think my favorite for today is the raindrops on the flowers.
Blessings,Ruth
Enjoyable post and your grosbeak does look puzzled. I have a peach orangy rhododendrum, just one plant, but I love it.
Wonderful shots. I alwasy get azaleas and rhododendron confused but I think now I've got it. I hung a small bird feeder. So far just sparrows but they're having a ball with it. Now, if I can just figure out how to get photos before I scare them away. :-)
That is one dandy iris.
I was taking Mingus for his morning constitutional and was standing right by the suet feeder when a chickadee flew in, almost under my nose, took a couple of pecks and flew off. The very cheek.
Ruth: I've had plenty of raindrops lately. Today we had some sun!
Sandy: Aren't the gorgeous plants?
2sweetnsaxy: Good for you! The better birds like sunflower seed...worth the expense.
Cicero: Oh, I will have to come see Mingus! Chickadees are very cheeky, but so cute :-)
Such lovely birds and flowers, and a happy Mothers'Day to you.
With cobwebs it is mostly focusing in three quarter profile against a dark background that works best but is not always successful for sparkle of dewdrops or the composition.
I'm enjoying your photos and my catch up here. You really got some good bird pics.
Post a Comment