Bunny, the elephant....57 years old....died Thursday of old age at the Elephant Sanctuary in Hohenwald, Tennessee. I'm reporting this for two reasons. Bunny used to live in a cage at the zoo here in Evansville. They treated her the best they could and she was very popular, but cage life is not the life for an elephant. A decision was made to send her to the Elephant Sanctuary in 1999 against much local opposition by those who loved her. I was thrilled when she went, because elephants belong with other elephants and in large open areas. Bunny took to life at the sancutary like it was all she had ever known. She was one of their biggest success stories. She spent the last 10 years of her life in ecstatic open-air living and made friends with all the other elephants. Her foot sores from living on concrete healed completely while she was there. The Elephant Sanctuary is a wonderful place and if you have never visited their web site, you should. That is my second reason to write this. They do wonderful work rescuing and providing homes for elephants and are worth supporting. Bunny's story and the story of her death are on the web site. She laid down to die out in the open 12 days ago and died peacefully with the other elephants keeping watch. She will be missed and remembered by the people here who knew her as well as her new family in Hohenwald.
Saturday, May 16, 2009
Bunny......an elephant dies
(Photo from the Elephant Sanctuary web site)
Bunny, the elephant....57 years old....died Thursday of old age at the Elephant Sanctuary in Hohenwald, Tennessee. I'm reporting this for two reasons. Bunny used to live in a cage at the zoo here in Evansville. They treated her the best they could and she was very popular, but cage life is not the life for an elephant. A decision was made to send her to the Elephant Sanctuary in 1999 against much local opposition by those who loved her. I was thrilled when she went, because elephants belong with other elephants and in large open areas. Bunny took to life at the sancutary like it was all she had ever known. She was one of their biggest success stories. She spent the last 10 years of her life in ecstatic open-air living and made friends with all the other elephants. Her foot sores from living on concrete healed completely while she was there. The Elephant Sanctuary is a wonderful place and if you have never visited their web site, you should. That is my second reason to write this. They do wonderful work rescuing and providing homes for elephants and are worth supporting. Bunny's story and the story of her death are on the web site. She laid down to die out in the open 12 days ago and died peacefully with the other elephants keeping watch. She will be missed and remembered by the people here who knew her as well as her new family in Hohenwald.
Bunny, the elephant....57 years old....died Thursday of old age at the Elephant Sanctuary in Hohenwald, Tennessee. I'm reporting this for two reasons. Bunny used to live in a cage at the zoo here in Evansville. They treated her the best they could and she was very popular, but cage life is not the life for an elephant. A decision was made to send her to the Elephant Sanctuary in 1999 against much local opposition by those who loved her. I was thrilled when she went, because elephants belong with other elephants and in large open areas. Bunny took to life at the sancutary like it was all she had ever known. She was one of their biggest success stories. She spent the last 10 years of her life in ecstatic open-air living and made friends with all the other elephants. Her foot sores from living on concrete healed completely while she was there. The Elephant Sanctuary is a wonderful place and if you have never visited their web site, you should. That is my second reason to write this. They do wonderful work rescuing and providing homes for elephants and are worth supporting. Bunny's story and the story of her death are on the web site. She laid down to die out in the open 12 days ago and died peacefully with the other elephants keeping watch. She will be missed and remembered by the people here who knew her as well as her new family in Hohenwald.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
What a shame Mary. They are always sadly missed. A lovely post on her.
Joan: She was very popular at the zoo, but I was so thrilled that she got to go to the sanctuary 10 years ago. She had a great life there. I've keep track of her on their site from time to time. She is getting hundreds of tributes from all over the world on the site. I didn't realize she had that many fans! I'm glad it was just old age and that she was happy.
Oh, Mary, this story touched my heart. I will check out the Elephant Sanctuary. I had never heard of it.
...elephants hold a special place in my heart as well. A lovely tribute...
Thoughtful post. I agree.
So sorry to hear she died. We have a similar situation here at the L.A. Zoo. They were fighting to release the elephant but the zoo fought to keep her because they're building a huge area for it. She's currently alone and in a very small area. I think it's a huge step up even if it might not be a sanctuary.
2sweetnsaxy: Even if they build a huge area, they also need other elephants. Elephants are social animals. We couldn't afford to keep more then one elephant at our zoo.
Mary: That is a shame but I hope it led a good life.
How sad but I am happy for her that she enjoyed the last few years of her life at the sanctuary. I love elephants, I wish all of them could live in sanctuaries with their own kind, especially if they can't live in their natural habitat. A loving post Mary. Thank you!
What a wonderful story. Bunny's death made the local news in Knoxville, which is on the other side of the state from Hohenwald. We're rather proud of the Elephant Sanctuary down here.
Hi Mary, What a neat post. I've heard about this Elephant Sanctuary in Howenwald, TN--but have never been there. Do they allow people to visit????
Sorry about Bunny---but she certainly had a great end to her life.
Hugs,
Betsy
A good life with her last 10 years well live. Lovely tribute, Mary.
Isn't this also where an elephant and dog are best friends? Saw it on Oprah Friday. And that's a lovely story, too.
What a sad story Mary. At least as you said she got to spend her last years in a place she loved. I think these folks that operate elephant sanctuaries are wonderful and giving people. No elephant should live in zoo, although some of the zoos are great and do offer some of the animals a better existance..
B.
I think that most zoos do the best they can and create very nice habitats for them......no one puts them in cages any more. Bunny had an outdoor area at our zoo, but not the sort of space she really needed and no other elephants for company....that's the big thing.
George and Betsy: I wondered if you were near the Elephant Sanctuary. I don't think they encourage visitation except maybe some educational stuff, and the elephants are off roaming around their large acerage where you wouldn't see them probably.
Annie:Yes, I think the dog and elephant at there, also. Probably has the story on their web site.
I will check out the link....this is so sad...I imagine she will be missed greatly.
Very interesting post, thanks for sharing.
Leedra’s Photos For FunLeedra’s Greeting CardsPhotography By Leedra
Post a Comment