Saturday, May 16, 2009

Peonies at New Harmony....

We went back to New Harmony to see what flowers they have in bloom....particularly the peonies, which are a favorite of mine. We have had so much rain that many of the peonies were pretty beat down and a lot were past their prime, but we still saw a lot of beautiful flowers. One very large beautiful pink head
Up close they rival a lovely rose.

An unusual single petal type with golden center peeking through a fence.
On the edge of town is a place called "Fragrant Farms" which specializes in peonies. We wandered through their fields.

Huge masses of color still in bloom there!

The "guard cat" followed us around showing what a friendly fellow he could be.

Masses of pale pink

I found this information on their web site:
"In Germany the peony is known as the Pfingstrose, or Spirit Rose, as it blooms at the time of Pentecost, the Christian celebration of the gift of the Holy Spirit."

They had a lot of iris scattered among the peonies, too.
The peonies had a lot of interesting names......Sarah Bernhardt, Mister Ed, Moon Over Barcelona, etc.
Our guide let us through the rows.

Those lovely reds with the yellow center

Whites from a distance
Pure snowy white.
We left the cat in charge :-)
We found a pretty rose garden in town, too which I will feature another day.

13 comments:

Arija said...

Wonderful post on Peonies. In English they are refered to as the Peny rose as well, not only in Germany. They are such beautiful perennials!

Richard Lawry said...

What beautiful photos. Your blog lifted my spirits on yet another rainy day here.

An Arkies Musings

Rose said...

I bet the flowers were a sight to behold in person! I love that light pink one!

2sweetnsaxy said...

That looks as if it was something else to see and I love that you had your own personal guard. :-D The shots are wonderful.

Mary said...

The cat followed us the whole time we walked around...either very social or rather to pounce if we picked any, perhaps?

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Neat shots of the flowers and the cat.

George said...

What wonderful pictures of the peonies. Your guide obviously knew all the places to take you so you could get great pictures.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh Mary, I love peonies... Those big groups of them are totally awesome. I'm so glad you went --so that WE could see them too.

Hugs,
Betsy

abb said...

Peonies always remind me of my grandmother. Beautiful photos!

Becky said...

I love Peonies. They remind me of my home when I was young. My Mother had a few bushes, and when we bought this house I brought some of them with us. I just love that fragrance. beautiful shots Mary.
B.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

BEAUTIFUL!
BLessings,Ruth

sandy said...

wow, what a beautiful place. I love your guide.

Leedra said...

The local daylily farm also has gardens of peonies too. I have never been while the peonies are in bloom, but would love to see them. This post makes me want to see them next year, probably too late for the peak this year.

Leedra’s Photos For FunLeedra’s Greeting CardsPhotography By Leedra