Saturday, May 2, 2009

Birds from our wetland's walks.....

Besides the geese and ducks and heron at the wetlands, I've been trying to catch some of the other birds that are there. These photos are from 2 recent walks there. The evening we saw the goose family, we also were entertained by the swallows that were swooping and who decided to line up on the rail for us. I'm not sure if that one is screaming at us or what.
They had been slamming into the water, so we thought maybe they were drying their wings.

Someone doesn't seem to want to be like all the others and face the right way :-)

For some reason the marsh side was totally dry except a few puddles and these sandpipers were wandering around. I don't often see sandpipers so I would guess a Yellowlegs, but don't really know.
I was thrilled to see something I don't often see.

I saw one of the Prothonotary Warblers but he would not come close and the light was fading fast. A splash of yellow was the best I could do.

Yesterday we went back around lunch time and the place was quiet and deserted....except for the Red-Wing Blackbirds screaming at us from the railing. He did not want to let us cross "his" bridge. I saw a female nearby.....or two.
He moved on finally.

I could see this thrush-like bird moving around in the underbrush but only got a couple decent shots. I really don't know thrushes either.

Peeping out of the leaves.
When I took the photo, I could not tell this was a Titmouse, but he was cute out there fluttering around on that limb.
Finally, just as we were leaving, this little grey bird kept jumping from limb to limb. There were actually 2 of them and Mike and I both tried to keep up and get some good photos. This was the best. It had the look of a kinglet....size of a warbler. Grey, with white along the sides of the tail seen from underneath in one photo. My best guess looking in the book is a Blue-Grey Gnatcatcher, but I've never seen one, so that is a guess.
White ring around the eye
I thought this silhouette might help. Most of the time I couldn't tell if I was taking photos of a bird or a leaf! He was very good at hiding!
Got some good turtle shots and saw my first dragonflies of the year mating and laying eggs, but didn't get a very good shot. Will post more later.

14 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I do like that one swift being different. LOL!! A rebel like me!! LOL!! I love the way you captured that titmouse in action. :)

Mary said...

Joan: Thanks!

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Your Thrush looks like a Northern Waterthrush, I think. Quite the variety you got. Looks like you had so much fun! That was so cool about the swallows. Great series of shots!

Tom Arbour said...

Mary- Interesting. I've never seen a northern waterthrush, if that is what you saw and photographed. These are similar to Louisiana waterthrushes, which breed in the U.S. If it is a northern, it is just passing through on its way up to Canada. I think the most interesting thing though is that these birds aren't related to thrushes at all, they are just named after them for their similar appearance. If I'm not mistaken, they are actually warblers in the family Parulidae.

I agree with the Blue Gray Gnatcatcher ID.

Tom

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a great series of photos you were able to capture. I would like to see more of that bright yellow bird.

Jenny said...

Hi there Mary, great set of photos. I would plump for Lesser Yellowlegs. It looks quite delicate and Greater Yellowlegs is more meaty somehow if that makes sense. Also look at the barring on the flanks. This is more extensive on Greater if you look in the books. I think it looks like a Northern Waterthrush too, quite a narrow eyeline and lots of throat streaking. And yes, Blue grey Gnatcatcher. A lovely set of birds you saw!

Mike said...

Lovely shots Mary.

Mary said...

Well, I won't enter the debate about whether it is the Northern or the Louisiana Waterthrush. My photo gives it the "yellowish" look of the northern, but Tom is right about that being a migrant while the other might live here. Having not seen it there before, I can't say, but will keep watching for it on other trips. I'm thrilled about the Gnatcatcher because that is a "lifer" for me...so is the thrush! He was very cute, but moved so fast jumping from leaf to leaf that I kept losing him. I always appreciate the help all of you give me in identifying these birds I don't know.

Becky said...

More interesting shots Mary. You have such different birds where you are. Some I've never seen..It's so great you can share them with us.
Love your header!
b.

Mary said...

Becky: Thanks! All of these birds were new to me except the Prothonotary Warbler, which I saw last year for the first time. I know there have to be lots of birds out there that I am not seeing because they don't come to my feeders. I'm trying to find some of them.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

A great series of shots.Nature yields such endless variety.
Blessings,Ruth

2sweetnsaxy said...

You definitely got an eye full which is always fun. I really enjoyed the shots.

Rose said...

What a variety! Love the ones of the swallows!

Leedra said...

I love the red-winged blackbird.

Leedra’s Photos For FunLeedra’s Greeting CardsPhotography By Leedra