Monday, May 11, 2009

Oldies I didn't use yet.....(left-overs)

I realized that I didn't take any photos yesterday and went into a panic, but looking back through my files I had a bunch that never got posted for some reason. This is not my yard....I wish mine looked this good! I was delivering some books here and had my camera along, so I took photos of her beautiful columbines. She offered me some...anyone know when it is a good time to dig them up?
Sorry about the hand, but I wanted to lift the flower up and see it.

They really were pretty.
A "Dirty Hairy"!
I think he looks like his feathers are tea stained. I always seem to have at least one downy or hairy that has that brownish cast to the feathers.

"The Star" says 'hello'!.....well actualy, he is busy eating as usual.

"nose to the grind stone"?

I liked this little turtle out in the sea of green.

Some fungi on a log in the water
More fungi
This is one of those plants that "stick" to your clothes, but I don't know it's name....very sticky. The cats come in with the little balls on their fur. (Just found the name "bedstraws" for these)
I see this every year at the wetlands but don't know its name.....maybe a red honeysuckle or some sort? Smaller than any trumpet vines that I know of.

It certainly grows like a honeysuckle.

Black Locust trees.
Well, if it isn't raining tomorrow.....I hope.....I will get out looking for something new.

17 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I love ALL these odds and ends Mary. It is good to see Star again but I notice he is up to his old tricks again. :) Beautiful shots of the fungi and flowers too.

Anonymous said...

They are pretty good for left overs Mary.

Kerri Farley said...

These are beautiful Mary! I'll take your leftovers any day!!

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Great flashbacks, Mary, it's always good to look back!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: That was a fun group of photos to share.

2sweetnsaxy said...

As usual, I so enjoyed your shots. I don't know why but the fungi shots really stood out to me, maybe because they're in such interesting places.

Shelley said...

Very pretty series of photos! I'm glad you lifted up that flower w/ your hand so we could get a close look at its "insides"! And always nice to see Star of course...

Jenny said...

Great leftovers as usual Mary. Your sticky thing is called cleavers on both sides of the pond and yes it is a honeysuckle. With the Columbine it might be best to wait for seed pods maybe? Otherwise I'd have thought earlier in the spring would have been best to transplant any plants.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I am glad you did post these pictures,they are lovely.The columbine is so pretty.
Blessings,Ruth

Becky said...

Cool flowers Mary. It's amazing that you aren't all that far away, but the flowers are very different.
B.

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Mary, very glad you shared these. Wonderful post :)

Rose said...

'Nose to the grind stone' made me laugh, which made me start coughing...very fitting caption.

I googled red honeysuckle and that looks like what you have pictured...did it have the honeysuckle smell?

Mary said...

Seems like I have been on the computer too much tonight, so I will just say "Thank you" for your comments, your identifications, and your smiles :-)

Rose: didn't smell it...it was off the path quite a ways and everything is very soggy right now.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, I'm enjoying catching up on your blog... Love your baby Chickadees---along with all of the other birds and the beautiful flowers.

Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day.
Hugs,
Betsy

abb said...

That columbine - I think it's the native one - is my favorite of all.
Found this: There are some perennials that don't respond well to division at all. Single-stemmed shrub-like perennials or those with long tap roots do not divide well (if at all). Some examples are artemesia, lavender, rosemary and columbine. Many of these plants produce seedlings that can be transplanted.

Also - I FINALLY harvested the morning glory seeds and will be sending them off to you today or tomorrow! Hope they germinate!

Mary said...

Betsy: Welcome home!

Annie: Thanks for the info and will look for the morning glories. I bought some seed, too but haven't planted it yet. Not sure where to put them. Some times I just throw seeds at my garden...that is "at" not in...and hope something will show up. I've become a terrible gardener as I get older, but love flowers of any sort!

Leedra said...

Think you can dig the columbine just about anytime. But you can also get some of the blooms (seeds) and get them to come up fairly easy too. These are the common and they seem to do real well (at least in this area). They sure do have a nice patch of them.

Leedra’s Photos For FunLeedra’s Greeting CardsPhotography By Leedra