I didn't take a lot of photos yesterday, so I don't have much to post.
Went back to the woods looking for the Waterthrush, but no luck. Did see this Red-Bellied Woodpecker from a distance. He looks so small on that big tree.
I would say the woodpeckers were at work here! What really surprised me is that the lowest hole was only about 5 feet off the ground.
Went back the arboretum and Jenny, you were right! I crushed some of this and the smell of anise was really strong!
I wondered if this green fuzzy bush was related, but no anise smell with this one.
This was a pretty bush and I got smart and took a photo of the name this time :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
Great odds and ends! Love that Carolina Wren!
You did very well for it being odds and ends Mary. There is a lovely varity and all kinds of interesting information.
Oh Mary.. I love the Carolina Wren's--and they sure can sing!!!!!
That's a great idea --of taking a picture of the 'sign' that goes along with the bush/flowers.
Are you sure that's a Red-bellied??? It doesn't look like ours. Looks more like a Pileated.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs.
Betsy
I like those 'bushes' and like that sweetspire--I had not heard of it. and I doubt I need to tell you how I feel about your wren!
Mary: What a nice set of photos, I'm still hoping to see the wren.
I loved seeing Hopey drink from that fountain! My cat loves running water too - sometimes I turn on the bathroom sink for him to drink out of. Enjoyed all your plant photos!
You may not have taken many photos yesterday, but what you did take made a wonderful 'Odds and Ends...'!
Good Stuff Mary. I just love your Carolina Wren.
I'm still having trouble getting into my blog, and got a notice from Mr. Linky that I should remove the header script from my template, but I don't know how.Sometimes I feel so stupid... Anyway Some folks don't like Foxfire, and I guess I'll hang in there with IE for a while longer to see if this situation fixes itself.
79ยบ here today, but hazy.
B.
Hi Mary, great set of photos. I alwasy like your odds and ends and leftovers too! (-: I love the smell of that fennel, I need to get some for my garden. Hopey is a cutie! (-: Is there a reason behind that name? It's so unusual.
Sorry Mary, the comment above from Adrian is actually from me, Jenny at wrensnaturenotebook, I'm up at my Mums on my brother's computer! (-:
Thanks everyone! I do appreciate all of your comments.
Betsy: If you click on the photo of the woodpecker, it is definitely a Red-bellied. It is the poor light that makes it look darker and confusing.
Becky:There are still a couple blogs I can not visit. We have't switched yet. Mike is gone all day.
Jenny: I think I knew that was you :-) I've seen your brother's name on Eve's blog. I saw more of the fennel at the zoo today! My children chose the name "Hopey" and I hated it at first but gradually grew to love it. It is the name of a character in "Love and Rockets" comicbooks...I think. Nothing that I'm familiar with! She is a real sweetheart and the softest cat I have ever owned.
Think the damaged tree is a Pileated Woodpecker? I really like the last photo, the lighting is so good.
Leedra’s Photos For FunLeedra’s Greeting CardsPhotography By Leedra
Leedra: I don't know on the tree damage. I was surprised that the holes were so low to the ground, especially if done by a large woodpecker, but I guess they peck wherever the bugs are! I have heard that pileated woodpeckers make long holes and this had both round and long ones...very deep. I'd say this tree is a "goner" next time a storm comes along.
...a nice variety! Love Hope drinking from the fountain...and those woodpecker holes are huge. Love finding those.
The lighting and scene in that bottom one. Love it.
Very nice. I haven't been anywhere in a while. I've got enough pics to last a lifetime but there's nothing like being out taking shots. I wish I could get better pics of the smaller birds. Yours are great!
Post a Comment