OK......this is kind of embarassing.
I don't really believe in coincidence. And I don't believe in psychic stuff.
And I don't THINK there was a little hummer reading over my shoulder when I wrote my blog on Thursday........
...........so how come the very next day.....Friday.....one showed up and stuck around all day???????????
The only thing I did different was move the feeder from the right side of the front door in the dead tree .....to the left side of the front door in the green tree. I didn't know leaves made that much difference to them.
There are so many leaves in the background that the camera won't focus on the hummingbird! It is also a very dark and shady location. Of course, if I really knew how to use my camera and the settings, that might be solved.
I even went outside and cut some branches off so there would be less distraction. Still not getting good pictures. I can't see the wings at all in half the pictures!
Must work on this. Hope they don't go away before I figure it out!
Anyway........if I had only known that I just needed to post a blog about LAST YEAR's hummingbirds and "sigh" real loud, I would have done it a long time ago!!!
Sorry little hummingbird....I should never have doubted you!
(You really weren't peeking over my shoulder......were you??)
18 comments:
Well, maybe she was - beautiful!
Helen: I might believe that if my computer room had any windows :-)
Hah! Can I say "I told you so!" now?
Great images! And if you let me know, what gear you have - maybe I can give you a tip on what settings might help!
Cheers, Klaus
P.S.: I see you disabled anonymous comments. Good. But your current setting require to have a blogger account - which might keep some good people from commenting. Just a thought!
LOL!! Didn't you know they can't read but can hear your thoughts? LOL!! Lovely!! I am so glad at least one is back. Maybe they feel safer amongst the leaves?
I believe much less likely things every day. I like the idea that the read our thoughts, as hummers sometimes seem to be thought incarnate.
Klaus: Ok...you can say "I told you so" :-) Silly little birds. You ask about my "gear"...Ha! I'm the person they created "point and shoot" cameras for. I just hate the idea of learning a bunch of complicated stuff and trying to deal with it every time I take a photograph. My camera is an inexpensive one with no interchangeable lenses or such..FujiFilm FinePix S5200. It has 10X Optical zoom, which is the thing I like best. It has the ability to change settings, but I don't know what to change them to and usually just use autofocus or settings that my husband sets up for me. He knows a lot more than I do. It is the shade that is causing the problems. I need a setting that will brighten things up. I'll think about the comments....I've never sought a lot of comments and like having a few friendly regulars. How do people find time to answer comments from 20 people?? Are you talking about OpenID? I wasn't sure what it is. I'm always uncomfortable when I visit sites that require my email address and often don't leave comments on them.
Joan and Wren: I don't now if I want to think the birds are reading my thoughts! Maybe I'll start wishing for some other bird I want to see....orioles?...and see what happens :-)
WOW fabulous catch. I have not been able to catch the fast flying humming bird yet. Thanks for sharing
Obviously a very clever bird Mary.
Good results Mary!
Very nice, mary, and maybe you can't get pictures of its wings for they are beating so fast.
So what bird will you be thinking about next? :-)
Thanks everyone. I wish the background was less distracting, but will have to work on that.
Ann: Orioles? Waxwings? Painted Bunting?
Would you believe after I wrote you yesterday about all my Hummers disappearing, one stopped by last evening, and wanted a drink. The feeder was almost empty, and had been hanging there for a couple days.I figured out the necter probably didn't taste good because he left right away. I went out and cleaned the bottle and filled it with fresh necter. He didn't return, BUT this morning he did come back and brought the little Mrs. Talk about spooky. Now I read your story. I don't know how long they will stay, but I'm glad they decided to come back. The Orioles are fighting over the Grape jelly, and some of them are eating the Hummers necter.
What wonderful synchronicity. I've had that problem too with various areas of my yard, where the birds are in too much shade, but yet then like going to the feeders better.
Do you have an up and down "light" toggle switch. That helped me. Took me a year to know I had that.
It was on a Kodak Easyshare camera.
Congratulations! I AM SO ENVIOUS! Still no more hummers here.
You know Mary I was only kidding about that but on the otherhand, I cannot count the times I was in a game reserve and thought "I would love to see....X" and sure enough, within the next 15 minutes, I would see it. Weird? You bet!!
Becky: Maybe the hummers are just later then usual this year or getting really desperate. That's really spooky for us both to have the same experience and not live that close to each other!
Sandy: Thanks...will check camera.
Annie: Keep wishing and move your feeder...apparently it works :-)
Joan: Normally I attibute coincidences like that to God, but I didn't really think it was the case with my hummer. Of course he is involved in all things, so who knows!
This is verrry interesting...Nice shots too!
June: After all my complaining and such, I just read in the local newspaper that this is perfectly normal and that the hummingbirds have just finished fledging their second brood and now they have time to spend at the feeders and are straving. OK...I forgot to read their itenerary and didn't realize that :-)
Post a Comment