Friday, July 11, 2008

Wetlands wonderland.....

Had a great visit to the wetlands today except for it being hot and sticky. I was sad to see that my duck group....the "Seven Sisters" ....has been reduced to only 6. One of the black and white ducks was missing. I've been watching these ducks for several months so they feel like old friends.

They were sitting in the shallow water preening and I liked the way this one looked with the reflection in the water.

A pretty little butterfly or moth or whatever on the yellow flowers......very scientific.

2 bees on the white flowers (I hope no one reads my blog to learn what different plants and creatures are.......I'm not much of an educator :-)

Very tiny yellow fungi of some sort.....it was too far away on a log in the water for me to get a close look. It stood out by it's color only.

A dragonfly that I hadn't seen there before.....finally identified it as the Common Whitetail female. Becky, at Woodynook recently posted one, so that helped!

I like getting a really close look at the wing mechanism and the colors when I can. This one landed on the path right in front of me and sat, so it was easy to take photos!

I loved this little Song Sparrow......who obviously had a nest nearby....and look to his lower right and there is a female dragonfly sitting there with him! I'm surprised he didn't eat it!

I liked this "two branch" position!

It was just a very cute bird and I liked all the pictures :-)

Head tilt......listening?? Watching the sky????

The digital close-up is not perfect, but I just love this pose!

8 comments:

kjpweb said...

Wonderful place it appears to be!
But I can help you out a little with ID's.
The first UFO is indeed a butterfly - a Common Branded Skipper.
The Dragonfly perched next to the Song Sparrow appears to be a a Halloween Pennant.
The Bees look like Bumble Bees - maybe a Mining Bee?
The other Dragonfly is a male Widow Dragonfly.
I think I got it, huh?
Though I should add a "most likely" to my ID's. ;)
Cheers, Klaus

me ann my camera said...

Mary you finally found a skipper! That is great! And your dragonfly photos are so perfect in sharpness and detail! I have no wetlands close by but I think I will drive out to my most favourite Milkweed patch this afternoon and see what I can fine. My yard is full of Song Sparrows as several have nested here.

Mary said...

Klaus: Well....I think I will have to disagree on the dragonflies. The large photos are the female Common Whitetail....I've seen the male there also. I see the Widow Skimmer dragonfly all the time and this is not it. See my sidebar. The one with the sparrow may very well be the same dragonfly....both it and the one you mention have the striped wings, but I've never seen a Halloween Pennant and I have seen the Commonwhite tail. Since the body isn't visible in the Sparrow shot, it is really hard to tell. But thanks for the Skipper identification!

Ann: If you have milkweed, I'm sure you will see a lot of good stuff! I knew you would like my little skipper :-)

sandy said...

great photos today and I love that bottom one, the pose.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What a wonderful variety you have today Mary. :) All are excellent, but my choice would be the dragonfly. I am not much good when it comes to names of flowers etc either. The only subject I am good on is animals. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and I am sure you could teach us all a thing or two about quilting!!

Becky said...

Mary, I just love the poses you got of that cute little Song Sparrow.
The closeup of the Whitetail female is so great. I've been looking for more the past couple days, but no luck.
Matbe Dragonflies aren't tasty.

Mary said...

Sandy, Joan, Becky: Thanks! That little sparrow was so cute, I was sure he would fly off, but he went down into the reeds once, so I assumed he was guarding a nest. He really was funny, and I'd swear he is smiling at me :-) Becky, I'm glad you had that female Whitetail the other day, because I hadn't seen one yet and it helped me guess what this one was! There is one dragonfly at the wetlands that is driving me nuts....it is huge, looks like it has 2 humps, and never lands anywhere so I can see it! Maybe it isn't even a dragonfly!

Emily said...

The moth (or whatever) on the yellow flower is really beautiful! I like the colors and composition a lot! Bugs fascinate me… they can look so grotesque and detailed that they become beautiful, if you know what I mean?
Take care!