Saturday, July 26, 2008

New plants at the wetlands and new bugs to crawl on them.....

There were a lot of new things at the wetlands when I went there yesterday. These white flowers attract all sorts of interesting bugs. This orange wasp......don't think I have seen an orange one before.....was prowling all over these flowers.

Also this large dark bluish black bug. You will probably have to click and make it larger to see it very well, but I thought the wings were a pretty color. I don't know names for any of these and don't have time to try to find them.

A small butterfly enjoying the Button Bush
A Swallowtail on the ground.

Thistle with a bee......I love thistle and saw quite a few surrounding the marsh area.

I have no idea what this yellow flower is, but it was all around the marsh. I like the leaves as well as the flowers.
The marsh itself is now covered with these little white flowers, growing in the water where there used to be yellow flowers. They were so delicate looking.

This is a whole "sea" of these little white flowers and they are growing in shallow water . There was one lone large pink flower in the middle of this bunch. There were lots more of these large pink flowers (something in the hisbuscus family, I think). I will show another one in the last post from this trip to the wetlands.

I see this tall purple "weed" a lot and even have some in my flower garden, but have no idea what it is called. I just like it's color. Every year when the stems start growing, I can't remember if it is going to be a plant that I planted or a volunteer "weed". By the time I figure it out, it is ready to flower :-) Oh, well......I'm not picky.

I'm heading off to quilt all morning, so I will check blogs later and maybe post the other 9 or so pictures so I won't get behind.

12 comments:

Jenny said...

Lovely post Mary. It seems to me that there are quite alot of us that all like to observe the same things. Birds, bugs, flowers......just getting close to nature I guess. It always makes me feel good! (-:
Happy weekend!
Jen

Anne på Moseplassen said...

Hi, your last plant there looks like it belonges to the centaurea family. A beautiful wildflower and not a weed... ;)
Great pictures, as always :D

Mary said...

Jenny: Yes, I agree and I'm so pleased to find so many others who enjoy these things! I originally looked at blogs to find some quilters and ended up with a whole bunch of new nature friends :-) If this many of us are admiring nature, then we will also protect it and teach others.

Moseplassen: Wildflower sounds good to me! I only called it a weed, because it showed up on its own :-) It's color rivals the thistle.

Becky said...

Beautiful pictures. What a wonderful place you have to walk. Will be watching for more.

abb said...

Don't know what most of your plants are, but do know they're just lovely! Another perfect post! How do you do that??

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Wonderful blog Mary!! The second picture is an Assasin Bug. Vicious creatures!! The yellow flowers seem to be some kind of Mimosa tree judging from the leaves. The purple "weed" is one we call a "paper flower", it comes in different shades and grows wild. Many people pick them as they are wonderful when dried and I have seen people frame these and other wild flowers to make beautifil pictures to hang on a wall. I sometimes with I was that talented.

Rose said...

I enjoyed all these pictures...I don't know what the yellow one is after the thistle, but it looks like something that grows down by the railroad, but I don't remember seeing yellow flowers. Try brushing your finger lightly across the length of one of the leaf spines. If it is what grows here, all those little leaves will fold upward. They open back up later--I just think it neat that they do that.

Mary said...

Becky: Thanks! I will post the last of this walk later on
Sunday, I hope.

Annie: You're good for the ego...thanks!

Joan: Assasin...sounds nasty? I didn't get very close, because I was avoiding the wasp on the same flower. Will have to look that one up! Will look up Paper flowers, also. I made some little pictures with presssed flowers once, but eventually they fade. Probably suppose to put some sort of perservative on them. You can also take flowers and put fabric over them and smash them to make the imprint come out on the fabric and then use fine pens to outline and accent. Looks kind of neat, but I've never tried it.

Rose: Thanks! That is interesting! I will try it the next time I go back and see if they do that. Maybe those leaves aren't attached to the yellow flowers and are something different. They do look a lot like mimosa leaves which Joan mentioned above.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

If you dry these they do not loose their colour. I am sorry I do not know what the proper name for them is, but not many of our wild flowers have proper names. To dry these, you put them in riversand which helps to absorb all the moisture out of them. I have never tried it myself but have seen it done Every 3-4 days you replace the sand. That imprint sounds great too Mary. I wish I had more time for things. At one stage I spent a fortune on things to make candle, but never got as far as making even one. LOL!!

sandy said...

Ohhhh, you're quilting. Gonna share some pics!! I hope.

Love that butterfly on the button bush.

Mary said...

Joan: There are lots of crafts that sound interestng, but like you say, finding the time is the tought part! I figure blogging and quilting take up all my time as is.

Sandy: This was basically just a half day of getting out of the house to quilt with friends....I started a new flower and butterfly, but it will be awhile before it is done.

Kingsdowner said...

Mary,
the purple flowers look like our Knapweeds, which are attracting plenty of butterflies, bees and other insects at the moment.
I'm very jelous of your Swallowtail, as they're rare over here.