Thursday, July 31, 2008

Greenbo Lake State Park area.....

We left Ashland and drove north along the river towards Greenup to see the locks and dam. The road leading back to the locks was lined with these beautiful patches of sunflowers! Both sides of the road for the entire length! They are mixed with both yellow and darker ones.
A really pretty mixture!

Mike took pictures of the locks.......


.....while I chased around in the meadow that they leave unmowed except for paths to walk on. Both of us chased some black butterflies around and never did get a picture of them! Frustrating! I don't think they were swallowtails, but don't know what they were because they would never land.

I thought these were interesting


Headed to Greenbo Lake State Park which was out headquarters for last night.
From there we decided to drive to Carter Caves State Park. On the way we saw this old covered bridge off to the side of the road.


It isn't used for cars any more, but seemed very sturdy. It was originally built circa 1880 and then reconstructed in 1999. Wasn't sure what they meant by that (rebuilt the whole thing or just fixed it up?) Anyway.....it made for nice pictures.


The far end was covered in ivy or a vine of some sort.....very nice.....

.....and this butterfly took pity on me and landed at my feet.

While Mike signed in at the lodge where we are staying, I took pictures of this Catbird in the tree after these berries.

I'm not going to post pictures of the cave trip right now....maybe never. Caves are hard to take pictures of inside. It was a long walk, with lots of steps and slippery passageways, but very interesting.
On the way back to our lodge for dinner, we saw 2 deer in a little meadow off to one side of the road. Look at her ribs.

She was wary of our stopping on the road, but didn't move away.

The other one was much further away and appears to have spots.

Visited the boat launch area of the lake and I found this flower on the edge. Don't know what it is.
A tiny toad......only about an inch long.

Mike found these wings from a Widow Skimmer. I thought it was interestng that they are hooked together in one piece. They look ready to "clamp on ". You could really see the details holding them like this.

Well....it is morning....we are going for a walk before breakfast and then we will move on to a new park later today to spend tonight.

11 comments:

Jenny said...

Hi Mary

I'm loving following in your footsteps! The interesting flower is a Teasel. We have them over here too. The actual flower is almost insignificant compared with what's left behind.

kjpweb said...

Glad you take those, sitting at home on their bum, with you on your trip!
Very nice shots! I'm intrigued by the Butterfly and the fact that I'm stumped on what it might be.
Keep having fun!
Cheers, Klaus

Cicero Sings said...

Sounds like you had a relaxing and fun day with your hubby. The bridge, especially the end with the ivy ... made one want to walk through. Sunflowers are amazing flowers aren't they? Teasel does look interesting ... we don't seem to have it up where we live though someone at the coast has been posting about it lately.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

DeniseinVA said...

A lovely set of photos again. Thanks for the arm-chair traveling. Learned something new, I don't remember seeing Teasel before but I will look out for it on our road trips, now that I know what to look for. The poor deer, I hope it gets enough food for winter. The vine-covered bridge was beautiful.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Another beautiful day judging on these lovely pictures Mary. Seems that this trip was a very good idea even if Mike has to work some of the time.

sandy said...

Loved the pics and those sunflowers along the road, that is a gorgeous photo...oh and that bridge, wow.

Becky said...

What a great place to be. There must be lots of interesting things to see. Isn't it amazing when you become a photographer what you suddenly find to take a picture of that you might not of otherwise?
I think your purple flowers are Long-Leaved Speedwell.

The Birdlady said...

What a wonderful post! The sunflowers are amazing, and I just love the old bridge. Thank you for sharing!

abb said...

I think I visit every day and then discover posts I've not seen! What wonderful photos, Mary! Love the covered bridge pic with all the ivy, such a lovely capture. And that deer has no reason to be skinny! Look at all that green grass!

Pretty Life Online said...

Great shots for skywatch!! Mine’s up too hope you can drop by. Happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

I like the covered bridges Mary, "Bridges of Madison County" ??