Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Flowers at Hartman Arboretum.....

I know.....this is not a flower. But it was the only bird shot I had and I wanted to include it. This robin was having a nice time in the puddle soaking her feet and admiring her reflection.I can't identify all the following plants, so I won't try. Some were familiar but in unusual colors. Some I don't know. There were lots of signs with Latin names, but I wasn't taking notes...only pictures :-)




Love the color in these hydrangeas!









These were unusual with their pink centers!


I love phlox!




A dark colored sunflower that I took a terrible picture of....but you can see the dark petals and get the idea.


Another dark one, but not as dark as the other one.





Not terribly exciting, but I wanted to finish off these pictures before moving on to something new :-) It's a nice place to wander around, and I will go back and chase more butterflies another day.

17 comments:

kjpweb said...

And to think you had that treasure right in front of you all the time, huh? Good place!
Cheers, Klaus

me ann my camera said...

These last blue flowers look like butterflies!

Cicero Sings said...

Great picture of the robin with its reflection. That last picture ... the purple plant ... neat plant!

Mary said...

Klaus: Yes, sometimes I need to open my eyes more and get out of the house :-)

Ann: It does look like big purple butterflies. I think if must be something in the Oxalis family...it had that look, but really big!

Cicero: This purple plant had a very small white flower, but I don't know what it is.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I have never seen such dark sunflowers Mary, but I think I prefer the yellow one...these don't look so "sunny". LOL!! Lovely flowers today, make sme wish for summer.

Mary said...

Joan: I think I agree about the sunflowers. I had never seen dark ones like this and they were fascinating to look at, but hard to photograph and not very "sunny" looking. Summer will come again and while you enjoy yours, we will be covered in snow and ice :-)

Anonymous said...

A brilliant set of Plant photos Mary.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

These are beautiful! What a place this is! That last plant is so interesting! I've never seen anything like it.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I feel sorry for you people up north who are covered in snow during wintertime. LOL!!

Becky said...

Another pretty walk. All the colors of those flowers would be great on a quilt.

abb said...

Such lovely flowers!

Mary said...

Roy: Thanks...lots to work with.

Sandpiper:I'm pretty sure it must be some sort of Oxalis...large purple one.

Joan: I can smile about it now....while its warm and winter is a long way off. Glad that you don't have to deal with snow, although it can be pretty at first.

Becky: Wish I was that talented! I just appliqued a Monarch Butterfly on a small project. I determined to do some birds and butterflies and such. Doesn't look too bad.

Annie: Thanks...wish they were mine :-)

sandy said...

I'm not good at identifying many flowers but I know what a sunflower is and I love it!

John Theberge said...

Another wonderful series from that aboretum.

Mary said...

Sandy: I tend to care more about how they look then what their names are. I just like what looks pretty or interesting.

John: Thanks!

Leedra said...

Boy, look at the Coneflower plants. The butterflies those would attract. Do you hear that envy?

Eve said...

They have some beautiful flowers and some that I have or have had!
Thanks Mary!