I seem to have a lot of young birds showing up now....
.....this little sparrow doesn't look like it's been out of the nest very long....
.....baby Chipping Sparrow eating at the Driveway Diner with mom....
.....OK.....how do I explain to these little birds that those are "ant guards" not individual drinking cups???? I've seen the little Titmouse drinking from one of them, too!
Until this year, I had never seen a clearwing hummingbird moth....now I have seen 3 in 3 different locations! This one is on the plants on my front steps.
This little titmouse got a big mouthful of suet and flew up to this branch, but I'm not sure he knows what to do with it next! If he puts it between his toes like a seed, it will crumble!
More little house sparrows......did I set up a breeding colony or something and didn't know it???
I want them to go away.....grow up....go away....stop eating my food. Just like children, you sometimes can't get rid of them.
I want them to go away.....grow up....go away....stop eating my food. Just like children, you sometimes can't get rid of them.
14 comments:
wow..what dear little birds they must be...your hummingbirds...and so hard to photograph...you are doing an excellent job of it!
thankyou for viiting my site..good for me to see another part of the world...yours...looks great
annie
LOL!! It seems as if you have as many problems with the sparrows as I do with the doves Mary. Just can't seem to be able to get rid of them and they chase all the smaller birds, who I actually put the food out for, away. Oh well, I guess we all have to scramble to get what food we can sometimes, even the doves!! :)
Mary, your yard must be a very colourful, busy place with all the birds and flowers. This is the first summer I haven't been keeping our feeders full. Feeders attract Raccoons and they had become a nuisance at night leaving mess all around. So this summer we changed our bird feeding habits and now we have no raccoons here! We still have a few birds though as they feed on the food that nature provides in a garden. I'll just have to enjoy your feeder birds instead of mine!
Love the variety you have in your yard! I'd probably be sitting out there ALL the time!
Cheers, Klaus
It's funny how it seems like one species of birds will eat all the seed and ....well, yeah, one does want them to leave at times.
I love squirrels but they can climb anything around here and get to the seed. arrggg.
OOh! I love the hummer in the last photo.
Thanks everyone! Will just make this a joint reply :-) I don't usually have a problem with the House Sparrows, but this year they are everywhere! I think I have been too generous with the seed on the driveway. When all I fed was sunflower seeds and suet, everyone was happy, including me. I hate to punish the other ground feeding birds...the Chipping Sparrow and Cardinals, but they will have to feed on the deck rail or a feeder. These little House Sparrows are going to have to learn to eat in the wild.....or go to McDonalds.
I do not know where all my time goes...I love your blog but sure don't get it visited quite every day. You get a lot of amazing captures.
Also, the quilt video I was watching when the power went out the other night was one of Simply Shows I had taped with Mary Ellen Hopkins on it...I have a whole bunch of them taped and watch them over and over. If I set up I am fine, but if I am sick and having trouble going to sleep, all I have to do is put one of them in and lay down. I cannot hold my eyes open!
I told my mom to get me a humming bird feeder at our new house. Great posts again. We miss your blog!
--JB
Rose: I have a bunch of the Simply Quilts shows on tape, too, but haven't watched them for awhile. I used to love watching it every morning while working on the computer.
JB: Tell her to get a couple and hang them far apart. My kitties watch the hummers sometimes and other times they don't seem to notice them at all.
Hi Mary, thanks for stopping by my place. Just wanted to tell you how much I love yours and that your photos are wonderful. Great pictures of the hummingbirds also the moth. I have seen them only in pictures, I would love to actually see one for real.
Have a great weekend.
Denise
Oh, I love that Hummingbird Moth. I wish I had even one. Great pictures Mary. I have lots of babies too.
Denise and Becky: thanks! This was my first year for these moths. Maybe they have always been here and I just suddenly became aware of them, now that I'm watching insects more. Ann at Nature Tails blog in NB, showed one on Tuesday that was a different color than mine. Apparently there are different kinds.
Wonderful collection of birds in your summer!
Post a Comment