Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Ashland Architecture and other stuff....

Looks like Mike is done working and we get to leave Ashland, so we will head to our next place to stay (a state park). This and the one below are my last posts from Ashland, Kentucky.

This was our walk through the downtown area.

I loved this bank building and its details on the pillars!

Aren't these great??

This was a very nice old Episcopalian church

Been around awhile.
This house was rather fascinating with the chimmney going right through that round tower top.....

....and this cute little dragon/griffin at the top!

Lovely flowers

This was a nice old house that they were busy working on. This whole street...Bath Street....had some of the oldest houses in town. I took lots of pictures, but just don't see how I can post everything.

These two horse fountains were in a side yard....no water running in them, but I really liked them.
Lots of old iron gates and fences.....

.....another one....

There were two of these huge planters with pot stackers in the middle of them.

Another ivy covered fence on the way back to the hotel.

A building downtown

Art deco dentist office
Old Paramount theater. Designed in conjunction with Chicago World's Fair of 1932. There was to be one built in every state, but only 3 were built and this is the lone survivor.

Central Park has 6 Indian burial mounds in it. They discovered in 1870 that they were filled with bones and artifacts and they believe there was a village here. They have been restored to their original size.

11 comments:

kjpweb said...

Awesome! You really get a feel for the town, looking at your pictures.
Thank you for sharing and Cheers, Klaus!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

A lovely town by the looks of it Mary, very peaceful.

me ann my camera said...

I love old buildings, It looks like a very nice old area!

Jenny said...

Hi Mary
YOu have such an interest and curiosity about so many things. Have you ever been to Britain? I feel sure you would love it, but your camera might have a meltdown! (-:

abb said...

What wonderful architectural details! Are the burial grounds part of the golf course?

The Birdlady said...

Great old houses...

Mary said...

Hello everyone and thanks! I'm now in Greenbo Lake State Park for the night. We will move to another state park tomorrow.

Jenny: I have been to Britain once but spent most of the time in Wales climbing around ruined castles.

Annie: The burial grounds are in a park in the center of the city. Just 6 little mounds in a row. It is not a golf course, even thogh it looks like it in the picture.

John Theberge said...

There definitaly is some interesting architecture down in Ashland.

Mike said...

Great details on the building there Mary, something I would like to get into taking shots likes these, nice one.

Kingsdowner said...

A good eye for detail - interesting!

Eve said...

Wonderful architecture! You got all the details and the fun stuff too! I love the griffin!