These photos go back to Friday....I'm behind.
On Friday morning the local newspaper, The Evansville Courier Press had an story and photo of 1000's of the Snow Geese at a new location....a lake near Griffin, IN which is right up the road a few miles from where we live.
So of course we hopped in the car and went to look for them. We didn't see the numbers they reported and only in the air, but I'm sure it was the time of day that we arrived.
The sun was in my eye and I kept having trouble holding the camera with one hand, focusing and keeping it steady, and shading my eyes......not so good at multi-tasking! So these aren't quite focused right and I didn't get a lot. However, now we know a new place to look for them!
After watching the geese we decided to drive into nearby New Harmony. While there, I spotted a Pileated Woodpecker up on a light pole. Mike is getting real good at turning around and heading back when I spot something :-) I have a very nice husband! Again, the sun was giving me trouble and I got my best photos when he moved down to a tree stump in someones yard.
This was the first one that I've seen this year. The pair that have visited our yard in the past did not come around this winter.
Peeking over the stump. I just love how huge they are and that red crested head.
Heading down a side road we had never traveled, I saw a Red Tailed Hawk on a limb. He was so white sitting there, with the light blue sky behind him, that I almost didn't notice him.
He let me take several photos.
Giving me a shake of the tail feathers before leaving.
I probably would miss all sorts of photos if it wasn't for Mike! I was so busy looking up for hawks, that I didn't even see these goats in someones front yard until Mike started turning around to go back.
They were out grazing what little grass was peeking through the snow. 6-7 total. I was a bit surprised they were allowed to just roam around in the yard with no fence.
I probably would miss all sorts of photos if it wasn't for Mike! I was so busy looking up for hawks, that I didn't even see these goats in someones front yard until Mike started turning around to go back.
14 comments:
The birds in your header are incredible Mary!! I have never seen so many. They almost blot out the sky. What a beautiful hawk and great pictures too.
A very nice collection of images Mary, I like the Snow geese in flight and that amazing crest on the woodpecker and the goats a really great.
Isn't it exciting to find a new location for birds,and then to get all these extras thrown in.The Pileated is gorgeous.Yes,that little goat is cute,bet Mama thinks so too.
Blessings,Ruth
Oh my, a Pileated! How lucky can you get! I'm always looking for one, and the only one I did see wouldn't hold still. I only got 2 pictures and neither was any good! Beautiful Mary.
Love the Snow geese too. We just don't see them here.
Those goats are cute, but then kid goats are adorable. The white ones with the brown heads are Boer goats, and most likely used for meat. I see they also have tags in their ears, so maybe they will be used for breeding. I'm surprised too that they would be allowed to run loose. I bet they broke out of their pen. Goats are famous for that.
B.
Joan: The header shot was from last week in Henderson, and there were a lot still around. Apparently this new location has an equal number, but they must have been out in the fields when we were there.
Ruth: Yes, I love surprises!
Roy: Thanks...I thought you might like the goats :-)
Becky: I'm always thrilled when I see a pileated...which isn't often. He was so big and I've gotten so used to scanning the poles and wires that I suddenly realized I had seen a large red head hanging under one of the cross bars. I'm glad he moved to that stump, or I wouldn't have gotten a decent shot. Thanks for the goat information. I know nothing of goats! This is farming country, so I'm sure they raise them for many reasons....including 4-H.
Great Pileated photos, You are so lucky to have seen it. It is my favoritre woodpecker and its size just about blows me away when I see one up close. Wow!, so many snowgeese!.. You sure do seem to be in the right place at the right time. Great post. Ann
Very cute goats, but I'm still partial to the birds. What a nice flock of snow geese. We only have Canada Geese, but they are also on the move.
Ann: Thanks...the pileated was a very nice surprise since I had not seen any since last winter. We've been watching the snow geese down in Henderson, KY but this new location was nice to know about because it is not too far from us.
Wren: The goats were something fun and different :-) I like the birds best, too. We only see the Snow Geese during the winter when they stay around this area.
You certainly got a wonderful variety of subjects on your drive. I don't know which species I most enjoyed, although the goats are the most unusual.
A pileated! How exciting is that!
George: Well, I know that you and Betsy see Pileated regularly, so they aren't unusual to you, as they are to me.
Annie: Sure was!
Great set and aren't baby goats (kids) just the cutest things!
Nice photos! We have pileated woodpeckers here in Virginia and I am always thrilled to see them.
Great pics, I've enjoyed doing some catching up here.
Post a Comment