Saturday, February 13, 2010

Chickadee...dee....dee.......

I'm always tickled pink when a Chickadee is willing to pose for me instead of grabbing a seed and taking off! This one gave me several nice shots when he wasn't cracking seeds.I never know for sure if my Chickadees are Black-capped or Carolina. I can not tell the difference in the photo books or looking at my "chicks". Sometimes it seems like I see one that is larger than normal, so I wonder if I actually have both kinds.
I don't really care which they are, but just wish I knew a fool-proof way to figure it out!
Thinking about pouncing on a seed.
Such hard workers when they are cracking seeds.

"ah....who me?"
I hope they nest in my gourd birdhouse again this year and will get it cleaned out this month and hung. The Wren family that used it after the Chickadees stuffed so many twigs in it that I don't think I will ever get them out! But it was fun watching both families :-)

15 comments:

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

I came over to look at your Skywatch post but got sidetracked big time by your beautiful bird photography! Every one a stunner!
Janice.

Dorothy said...

Mary, these are great photos of the cute little Chickadee. You are so right about them never being still. They swoop in and grab one seed and off they go!

Rose said...

They are all so cute...

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

The beautiful Chickadee,not very colorful but so cheery.Your pictures are fantastic.Have a wonderful weekend.
Blessings,Ruth

George said...

You got some good pictures of the Chickadee. As you said they usually dart in and out, making it difficult to get a good picture.
Have a wonderful weekend.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I think the Black-capped ones have more buff in them (buff color on sides under wings and white belly). They also have more white on their outer wings. They also usually have a more pronounced and sharper bib edge.

SO--I can't see the bib edge nor the outer wings --but it looks like yours has whiter sides and not much buff color... IF so, yours is a Carolina Chickadee. Who knows though??? ha

Watched and loved the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics last night.

Hugs,
Betsy

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I looked at yours again--and maybe there is some white in his outer wings... IF so, he's a Black-capped.... Oh Well--are you thoroughly confused now???? ha
Hugs,
Betsy

Cicero Sings said...

I love the Chickadees. They are so cheerful and so hearty. They stay here year round, no matter how cold it gets. We have the Black Caps and Mountain Chickadees here.

Good pics of the little guys!

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, great Chickadee dee dee photos. Maybe you'll have to wait until they start singing this spring. The Carolina is like a manic BC Chickadee.

Anonymous said...

I'm like you, I can't really tell the difference. And honestly I don't care enough to try to figure it out! LOL! I just enjoy looking at them. And I call them all "Chickadees" and that is good enough for me. :)
These are great shots, they are hard to photograph because they rarely set still for very long it seems. Usually by the time you focus the camera on them, they are flitting off someplace else.

Becky said...

They are such cuties, and you have gotten wonderful pictures Mary.
B.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What fine shots of those sweet birds, always flitting about and putting on a show.

Carletta said...

Beautiful shots!
Carletta’s Captures.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Isn't it wonderful when they are so co-operative!! I hope you gave him an extra seed or two for it? :)

Garden Lily said...

Great photos! These little beauties don't usually stop for long to pose. Nice job.