It's SkyWatch Friday and once again, I had some blue sky yesterday!
Our sky was full of birds yesterday!
We drove over to the Henderson Slough area to check on the migrating geese and ducks.
You can always see the steam from the A.B. Brown Power Plant between Evansville and Mount Vernon on the Indiana side of the Ohio River from the slough. There were numerous swarms of blackbirds in the air all the time we were there. I liked how they looked against the steam in the distance!
If I zoom in, it looks more like ash falling from the sky.....but trust me, it's blackbirds and nice clean steam!
We were afraid that the Snow Geese might be pretty well gone by now. We could see Canadas and lots of Mallards on the water in the fields.
Suddenly a flock of white rose into the air, and we knew the Snow Geese were still there....they were just further back in behind where the water is.
That's a lot of birds! These are geese and ducks, but there were easily this many blackbirds around, too.
We followed one road that led to a boat ramp on the Ohio River. We accidentally spooked two hawks from the trees along the river......but no photos.
If you click on this you can pick out some Red Wing Blackbirds mixed in this bunch. The only spots of color in the sea of black.
I just like this shot of a couple of Grackles in a tree.
We stopped at the old rookery area to see if there were any signs of eagles back yet.
We stopped at the old rookery area to see if there were any signs of eagles back yet.
Then on the way home we took a road searching for another slough area and came to this.....
.....what is in the tree out here in the middle of nowhere????
What an ending for SkyWatch Friday this week!
(and what a waste of some nice looking shoes!)
More photos from the ground parts of the trip tomorrow.
For more skies from all over the world, click the icon on my sidebar.
What's in your sky????.......birds??......shoes???
14 comments:
I like the boat ramp scene by the Ohio River and the shot of flying blackbirds below it best. Maybe next time you'll come across Charlie Brown's kite-eating tree!
Hahaha why there are many shoes on that tree? Awesome photos you have it here. Happy weekend!
SkyWatch-HalfMoon
Glad to meet someone else who loves the huge flocks of blackbirds! I only see them in the late summer/early fall, as the redwings gather in the marsh before heading south, but I can't get enough of them! Only time the dogs get a second walk, just about sunset!
Yikes,that's a lot of birds in the sky at once.Do they ever clip wings?I sometimes wonder about that.
Blessings,Ruth
Well--I have seen everything now. In all of my life, I have never seen a shoe tree---at least one like yours.. What a great picture for Skywatch Friday. Bet nobody else has a tree like yours?????
Love your pictures of the Snow Geese--along with all of the others. I like the red-winged blackbirds also. I've only seen one of them (other than in pictures).
Hugs,
Betsy
Now I know what a shoe tree is!
Oh, I so love your shoe tree!!! and I love the tree in the middle of no where.
I think you had a great trip Mary. So many birds in one spot. I love the black birds flying in formation. How do they do it? Amazing for sure. Love the steam shots too, and that shoe tree, Pretty cool!
B.
CountryDreaming: Actually, I know where a tree is that has a kite in it :-) The Blackbirds were really out Thursday....this weather has them as unhappy as it has me.
Manang Kim: Thanks for stopping by. I don't know they the shoes are in the tree...teenagers I assume.
Judy: I've seen a lot of swarms of blackbirds recently. The snow in the fields has been hard on them, too.
Ruth: I'm always amazed they don't run into each other, but I guess a bird is very aware of it's wings and the other birds.
Betsy: the shoe tree made me laugh and was very unexpected. Bored teens?
Mommanator: It was pretty funny looking.
Rose: It seems like I have seen a lot of country scenes lately that appeared to be "the middle of nowhere". I guess that's the midwest for you!
Mary: What a great trip, you are really in the flyway of the Snow Geese. Those flying shoes are a great capture.
It amazes me the birds don't run into each other. We humans certainly would!
And that shoe tree??? What's up with that???
Tom: Those geese stay around pretty much for the whole winter, although I bet this year they wish they had gone further south!
Annie: I don't know how the birds do it either. Doesn't that seem like a terrible waste of good shoes? Especially knowing what they cost! I wonder what they tell their moms...."Someone stole my shoes at school"?
Wow ! that's amazing !! so many birds ! It's just like the Hitchcock movie, lol ! but more beautiful of course !
You've always commented on the number of birds you can see in Henderson, and the pictures of the flocks in flight sure illustrate that. You got some wonderful shots. I wonder what the story is behind the shoes in the tree?
Post a Comment