Saturday, February 27, 2010

A good day for birding.....

Yesterday was cold, but was a good day for seeing different birds and such. I'm going to post these in the opposite order of seeing them, because I was so excited to see this owl in the first shot!I don't see a lot of owls and this one was in a tree along the edge of our property! I will be watching for him in the future. I think it is a Barred Owl.
Earlier in the day, I saw this pole and wires loaded with Pigeons near the train yards. Does it sound fancier if I call them Rock Doves (feral pigeons) like Sibley's does? Maybe some people don't get excited about pigeons, but I think their colors are so pretty.

According to Sibley Field Guide to Birds there are 5 basic plumage variations: Natural Adult, Dark Adult, Brown Adult, Checkered Adult, and Pied Adult. It says that fully white birds are scarce. I would say looking at my selection that I have all but the Brown Adults and no pure white ones, but a couple that were close.

If you click on any of these you can see the colors more closely. There are two in this photo that almost look like they have a touch of brown, but maybe it is more of a pink color.

An almost all white one! I love the iridescent colors in the neck area.
This group were all fairly light in color.
OK....I won't bore you with Pigeons, but I really do like looking at them....and they don't mind photos :-)
This Red-Shouldered Hawk (?) was further down the wires in the same area as the pigeons. Maybe he wanted lunch.

Speaking of hawks.....when we got home a hawk flew right over the top of the car as we drove up, and through the trees. About 20 minutes later, I stepped out on the deck to put out some bird seed and heard a hawk screeching. It landed in the top of the oak tree in the back yard. It took off and I went for the camera because Mike spotted another one circling overhead as well. He said they were doing somersaults and such. Is that mating behavior or territorial behavior? They got too far away for photos, but we think it was the Red-Shouldered Hawks we have seen around our house before. Of course I have no photos of this....my camera was being downloaded on the computer. Mike got one distant shot of one of them with the other camera.

11 comments:

Arija said...

I know just how excited you were to see that owl, especially on home ground. My daughter has seen one in a tree next to our house on the mountain the very thought of which thrilled me to bits. I rarely go there so I have not had the pleasure as yet.
Your captures of the pigeon convention are spectacular!

Don Wood said...

WELL DONE YOU Heather is Jealous of the Owl she wants to know why we havent got one. The Hawk was reading the lunch menu .

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary, we have Rock Doves and Stock Doves which are pure breeds and then we have Feral Pigeons which come in a variety of colours, which tend to congregate in the towns and cities.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

To see that many Rock Doves in one place would get me excited too. I have yet to get a good picture of these guys.SOunds like the Hawks were in a mating mood.
Blessings,Ruth

CountryDreaming said...

A daylight owl? Wow ... Great find!

Rose said...

I like pigeons, too...and I like your hawk shot. Seeing an owl is so exciting...something we don't see often for sure.

Eve said...

Great Barred Owl photo Mary...puts mine to shame! I love Rock Doves no matter what anyone says. The whiter the better!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Spring must be coming, Mary... You got some wonderful pictures of birds today... I too love those pigeons... I'm sure the hawk was looking for 'pigeon' for dinner!!!! ha

Hugs,
Betsy

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! I'm glad Roy mentioned the Rock Doves and Stock Doves in England, since our feral ones originally came from Europe. I looked for the owl again this evening, but didn't see it. I hope it comes back.

Becky said...

I love that Owl Mary. I just wish we had some here. There should be no reason whythey aren't around. You do seem to have a lot of Hawks too. Somethig else we seem to be missing, except that ever present Cooper's!
I love Pigeons too. I would like to raise racing pigeons.
B.

sandy said...

wow you hit the jackpot, hawk, tons of pigeons and that owl!!