My yard has certainly been busy for the GBBC and a few visitors showed up that don't come very often. I guess they wanted it known that they live around here!
I've seen very little of the White-Breasted Nuthatch this winter, but he came out all weekend.
Part of the attraction was this very popular large suet cake full of good stuff that I buy at Rural King. There were 4-5 birds that really wanted to claim this as "mine!" The White-Breasted Nuthatch is about to be chased away by the Red-Bellied Woodpecker!
Another "face off"......who will win this one? It's about time that the Mockingbird finds out that all the suet blocks do not belong to just him!
The Titmice were willing to share!
Another surprise visitor for this suet block....can you see him? I can certainly understand why the camera does not focus well on this Brown Creeper.....he blends in so well!
The only half way decent shots I get are when he turns a bit sideways and the white belly shows.
He shows a little better on the ground....but not much.
Every time he started up the tree for the suet block, the Nuthatch would come down from the top and chase him away. I thought it was interesting that the Creeper likes to work his way up from the bottom, while the Nuthatch always seem to come down from higher up.
The Bluebird sitting on the food.....hmmmm. I'm going to have to come up with more Bluebird friendly eating if I want them to stay around.
The Carolina Wren was around all day every day.
I think this is a Fox Sparrow. It was larger and more red than the Song Sparrow, but otherwise looked very similar. I don't know how to work against the whiteness of the snow. My birds are always too dark and I can't get them lightened up enough.
I also had a Flicker show up, but it was in the side yard where I have to shoot through the triangle skylights and the photos are never good. Then on Sunday a couple hundred Grackles stopped just long enough to see what I had to offer, before I chased them on their way. I have no idea how to add them to my count for Sunday since I couldn't begin to count them!
I'm writing this on Sunday and by morning we will probably have more snow and lots more birds to feed!
8 comments:
Another lovely set of images Mary. Those Treecreepers are never easy. The moral to the is story is "More suet cake, more visitors."
Such a nice variety of birds! That one on the tree trunk is perfectly camouflaged against the interesting bark. Good luck with your bird count!
Nice shots Mary you use the oak tree to its best. there should be lots of grubs hiding in the bark soon as the weather warms up
How lucky you are to get so many varied feathered visitors ... thanks so much for sharing with the 'birdie deprived' like me ;-)
Hugs and blessings,
...I wish a Brown Creeper would visit me! I've been counting too......hundreds of starlings--plus a lot of other fun birds too, but no Brown Creepers!
The Brown Creeper is a difficult bird to photograph.HE is a master at camouflage.Hope you don't get too much more snow.
Blessings,Ruth
You have so many nice birds Mary. Great shots of them, and they all do appear happy too.I hope the folks at GBBC don't throw my totals away. Same birds all 4 days!
B.
You got a Brown Creeper! Way to go Mary. Your pictures are so fun and wonderful. I haven't seen a Fox Sparrow here yet. Great job Mary!
Post a Comment