Saturday, February 20, 2010

Finishing up Henderson photos....

We really saw quite a few birds....geese mixture, ducks, hawks, kestrels, lots of blackbirds, an eagle in the tree, but mostly they were at great distances. More of a day to just look and observe than take good photos. My favorite shot of the day was just the way the light looked on the frozen water in the field.
Back along the farthest edges the geese and ducks were swimming or sitting.

The flooded area was a little closer, but still hard to get good bird shots.

No birds...just grass and snow and water :-)

Grackle at the edge of a field.

Mallards made up a lot of the ducks we could see. They were in the corn field area and a little easier to get photos.

They were even giving some nice reflections in the water....but a little far away.

Off of a side road we could see 3-4 pair of Shovelers mixed in with the Mallards in one flooded area. That white really makes them show up!

We see this same Kestrel every time we travel this road :-) He is usually on the overhead wires watching one particular field. When he sees us creeping along, he flies off. This time he just flew to this oil well and was willing to let me take a photo from that distance.
I believe this barn has seen better days!
Driving back through Henderson, KY we made a couple stops.
This stop was at a traffic light and I couldn't resist trying to quickly get a photo of this sparrow on the letters on the side of this church.

We drove through Audubon State Park and saw this Robin on a branch at one stop. I hope that means spring is on the way!
The bridge home seen through the trees at the rookery area.

Just a shot of the water around the cypress trees at the rookery.
Another sunny day on Friday and we went out again in a different direction. I'll get to that Monday, I guess.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lovely effect of the light on the frozen water Mary

Mary said...

Roy: Thanks!

George said...

I also like your first picture very much, but the last has stark beauty as well. Thanks for taking us along on your trip.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I love that first picture,it looks like a path across the ice..Sometimes the birds just don't want to cooperate,I know that all to well.Your pictures are very interesting even without birds.
Blessings,Ruth

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Fun shots, I wish I had more then Mallards to see. I loved the old barn.

Dorothy said...

Mary, you have such good places to go and look for wildlife! I like your pictures even if they are not close up!! Have a great Sunday!

Becky said...

Lots of terrific pictures Mary. What wonderful places you get to go to.
In the shot with the Mallards, it looks like the one to the far left has a band on his leg.
Love the water shots too.
B.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, One thing is for sure... Every time you go to Henderson, you see something different. I love all of your Henderson pictures--whenever you go.

Hope you have a great weekend and week ahead. We are headed to Arkansas tomorrow.
Hugs,
Betsy

Mary said...

Thanks everyone!

Becky: Glad you noticed the band! I didn't see it until you mentioned it.

Rose said...

I am watching for robins...they are usually here before February is finished.

That barn looks like you could push it down with one hand.