Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Winter came back.....

Well, the temperature dropped to 39 and we had snow flurries....not sticking. I'm hoping the freeze tonight won't do too much damage. Wouldn't you know an interesting duck would show up on our pond in the middle of the snow flurries! Maybe it got lost in the blowing snow.
I can tell it is a Merganser, but that is all I can tell. Not a duck I know.
By the time the flurries quit, it was gone.
The cold and snow brought out the cowbirds....about 20 of them.
That is all I had from yesterday....we stayed in out of the cold all day. These other shots are from a few days ago.
I liked the clouds reflected in the water at the wetlands. This day was cold, too and not much happening.

Another day last week I went to the Pet Food Center to get some sunflower seeds.....
....I've seen people bring their dogs to the store, but a horse???? Actually the horse was for some sort of fund raising, pet adopting effort. There is a rabbit on the table.
Charlie....horse
Hmmmm.....somebody has a sense of humor.

22 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I think I have to start bringing my bugs to work too!! :)

I hope the cold does not do too much dame too Mary. Just when everything is starting to bloom....

Kim said...

Sorry to hear of your winter weather. Perhaps that is a female common merganser??

Kathie Brown said...

I think Kallen is right about the merganser. I haven't seen any cowbirds here yet. Love the Charlie horse! And I, too, like the clouds reflected in the water.

Mary said...

Joan: I thought you FOUND your bugs at work :-) Easier to transport than a horse!

Kallen: Well, the sun is out this morning and I see no frost damage, so the weathermen must have been off mark a bit...yeah!

Kathie: You can have my Cowbirds if you want them! They get rather mean and piggish.

abb said...

Do me a favor and keep that snow! Much as I love it, I'm really quite done with it for the year!

Mary said...

Annie: Trust me....I don't want it either! We are well into spring here! Thankfully, it was just a flurry that didn't stick...so far.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Your collection of cowbirds looks like my collection of House Finches and Gold Finches. The Pine Siskins are gone--but we have our share of other finches now...

We too have had snow flurries for two days... We got about 1/2 inch of accumulation during the night--but it's now just back to flurries.

Do you buy your sunflower seed in bulk at the feed store??? How much do you get at one time???


Have a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy

Richard Lawry said...

We have the occasional cowbird here, but I've never seen that many together.

Last night we had a freeze warning, but the low temp at my house was 33 degree.

An Arkies Musings

George said...

I hope it soon warms us for you (and us). I really like the picture of the pond in your post today.

Rose said...

Roger knows about charlie-horses! The other kind.

Cicero Sings said...

Loved the clouds reflected in the wetland photo.

My D had a dog when he was young ... named him Charlie too ... bet you can guess the last name.

Anonymous said...

Charlie, Horse, Snow, is this all legal?? {:)

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely photos, I think I would have done a double take to see that beautiful horse. Hope you don't get any more snow flurries. There was talk of some here but nothing yet.

Becky said...

Well, lets see. 8" and mounting! I have so mnay blackbirds here today, I might need to fill the feeders again! Gary shoveled off some of the yard for the Robins. They look so lost.
I'll take that horse. He is so cute, BUT I bet he eats lots!
B.

Leedra said...

The cold has returned here too. I am concerned about the iris buds that have already started. Two years ago this happened and I had no iris blooms, and I have close to 30 varieties, so it was upsetting. Just hope it doesn't get them again this year.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra

Kelly said...

...when I saw that horse standing there I had to laugh--such a surprise! Charlie Horse is very cute! It has snowed off and on all day today in Cincy. It didn't stick, though!

Shelley said...

Charlie Horse has a very sweet face! We're still having snow flurries here - wet packed snow on the ground. No way am I touching that snow shovel! :-)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I like the picture with the cloud reflections,so pretty.Hope that snow and cold leave soon.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

Betsy: I have bought from several different stores. I usually buy a 50lb. sack and go through 2-3 a month....I know, I'm crazy, but I do love the birds.

Richies: I don't think it got as cold here as they thought it might. I only see a mess of Cowbirds when the weather does something bad. Apparently they remember where the lady with all the bird seed lives!

George: it is warming up again! yeah!

Rose: I know that Charlie, too :-)

Cicero: Thanks...I guess I'm slow..I can't guess.

Roy: Apparently :-)

Denise: It was a head turner.

Becky: 8 inches??? Oh...I'm so sorry!

Leedra: Cross your fingers! My iris greenry is up, but no buds yet. I can't wait to see photos if you have that many...I love irises!

Kelly: He is rather cute.

Shelley: I hate April snow, but it doesn't last.

Ruth: I hope this was the last cold threat for us...I'm pretty far south.

Eve said...

I'm glad the snow didnt stick Mary...we've got a few inches but south of us (as usual)got over ten inches and schools are closed there! Love the horse!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: The snow covered the ground yesterday with 4". It was almost gone today. I love your little duck but you really have to work to determine what they are. Here is a good place.

http://identify.whatbird.com/mwg/_/0/attrs.aspx
Start with the attributes one at a time and it makes guesses for comparison.

sandy said...

What a beautiful horse, how funny to see it outside the store. That photo with the reflection of the clouds is great....