I looked out the door yesterday morning to find some new "neighbors"!
Mrs. Mallard was busy digging through the mud puddle and searching the driveway for food.
I notice that she has a leg band. She was all by herself.
After eating a bit, she wandered off across the violets headed for the road.
I saw her on the other side and knew where she was headed.....
.....down to the drainage ditch that runs between our lots and the field next door.
Apparently we passed her inspection because later......
Apparently we passed her inspection because later......
"Look here, they throw seed on the ground for us! Isn't this wonderful??"
"Of course there are one or two pesky neighbors flying around."
The Cowbirds may not like the ducks, but the Downy didn't pay the slightest bit of attention. Mr. Mallard laid in the gravel eating, while she stood guard.
I bought some seed and cracked corn mix to try leaving in a dish closer to where they are headed tomorrow. Have to show my new neighbors they are welcome. Maybe we will have baby ducks down in the ditch soon!
16 comments:
These birds know were they will be welcome and get some grub Mary. :) These are the nicest kind of neighbors you could hope for, just watch they don't bring the rest of the family, all the aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers, great grandmothers etc etc. :) Pictures of the babies would be great!!
So cute and how funny that they decided to visit your yard. They look right at home with all of your other feathered friends.
Lovely new neighbors you have. Great photos!
I love your new friends! I hope they come back to your yard again!! And bring their babies!!
I agree with the other poster they look like they will fit in just fine with the rest of your birds.
What a special treat.I'm sure with the welcome you aregiving themthey will stay around.
Blessings,Ruth
Joan: it was funny to see them...I don't usually get ducks except around back on the pond.
Kallen: I think the cowbirds felt that there would not be enough food for ducks as well as them. Actually, I wish the cowbirds would go away!
Denise: I hope they stay nearby.
Shelley: After they have babies they usually head to another nearby lake....maybe ours if they start in the drainage ditch. We have a lot of predators around here.
Kathy: Harder to feed, but welcome!
Ruth: I enjoyed seeing them and hope they come back.
Mary: What a neat thing to have some new neighbors. Great job on the guesses.
...wasn't it wonderful looking out and seeing them? Maybe you'll be able to get a look at that band and report it. Love those ducks!
Fishing Guy: Thanks!
Kelly: I tried to zoom in on the computer, but could not see a number or anything.
Congrats on the new neighbors, Mary. At least, they won't have wild parties and play their music too loud... That's a good thing!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy
I'm glad you were so welcoming to your new neighbors. I, too, hope they'll stay and introduce you to some young ones.
Won't that be nice to have the babies so close?
Leedra’s Photos For FunLeedra’s Greeting CardsPhotography By Leedra
How cool, now you have ducks. Wonder what "Star" will think especially if there is all those squacky kids running around...LOL
B.
Do you think birds have a way of communicating with each other--even between the species to tell all where to find a good thing? I really think they do.
I just answered these and then lost it...so I will just say thanks!
Rose: I think they do. Apparently the word is out that Mary's house has lots of food.
Post a Comment