Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Watery Wednesday.....over-dosing on baby geese

Because it is Watery Wednesday, I'm interrupting my New Harmony post to show you this adorable goose family! We were just getting ready to leave the wetlands, when they came swimming across the lake towards us. They made a dead beeline for where we were standing. I don't know if that means they have been fed there before, or if they just wanted to show off all of these beautiful babies!
I believe mother goose is daring me to harm her babies in anyway. We lavished our praises on her lovely family :-)

Sticking close.
I've never gotten this close to a bunch of babies before, so I was ecstatic! It was late and the light was failing, so I was thrilled to get any photos.
Aren't they soft looking and adorable???
One little guy kept swimming off on his own.....always an independent thinker in any family.
I just love his little feet!
They all were doing some diving for food.....I hope they found some since we didn't bring any. You are not suppose to feed the wild animals here, but I know that some people do.

Heading off in the late afternoon light.
One parent always stood guard while the other ate.
Family portrait.
That is my Watery Wednesday for this week!
For more Watery Wednesday posts, click on the icon on my sidebar.

25 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

How wonderful!! These are absolutely adorable!! Next time you had better take food for them as that is what they came over for. WOW!! Fantastic shots!!

Shelley said...

such a sweet family! I just love those soft fuzzy little babies! Wonderful shots!!

Mary said...

Joan: I would love to feed them, but it is not encouraged and I probably won't. There are many who do bring food especially to the 4 odd ducks that live there all the time. The place would be overrun with geese if they get fed :-)

Shelley: I was really happy to see them so close. I wanted to scoop one up and hold it, but I'm sure mama goose would have been very upset with that idea :-)

John Theberge said...

I saw a couple of geese the other day while I was kayaking but around here they haven't laid their eggs yet. If they have they definitely haven't hatched yet.

CountryDreaming said...

What a friendly-looking family out for a swim. It's that time of year. Oddly enough, I was just dreaming of baby Canada Geese before waking up and seeing your blog! Great shots with stellar composition.

penny said...

Now thats the sweetest bunch of photos I have seen in a long time. Family time, how cute!
Mary, thanks for visiting.
All your blog photos are wonderful:)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: what a wonderful capture of the Canada Geese with the little goslings. I can't wait to see them.

Cicero Sings said...

Geese are so photogenic!

Regina said...

Looks so cute..Nice post.

HappyK said...

Great shots of the geese family. Such adorable babies.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Beautiful photos and the last one wins the prize.
Blessings,Ruth

2sweetnsaxy said...

I absolutely looooove these photos and those babies are sooooo cute! I'm so glad you shared these. I'll be smiling the rest of the day. :-)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Mary, they are just precious. Those babies are growing so fast, aren't they??? Love the ripples in the water as they swim by!!!!! Beautiful pictures.

There's a lake near Hendersonville where they are allowed to feed the geese.. AND--you'd never believe how many are around ... You wouldn't want THAT many!!!!! ha

Hugs,
Betsy

Leedra said...

These are so great! Couldn't ever overdose on little birdies. Just another one of God's little miracles.

Leedra’s Photos For FunLeedra’s Greeting CardsPhotography By Leedra

Anonymous said...

What an adorable series of family duckling photos today ... I love the close ups of the little independent guy ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Christina, Sweden said...

lvely photos of those cute ducklings. though they are not so lovely when they grow up. In sweden we have far too many of them

Becky said...

How precious are they? You just can never get enough pictures of these babies. I actually wonder how many of them reach adulthood. There are so many babies around, Do they all survive? I know Snapping Turtles will eat them.
I'm excited. One of my Silky hens is sitting on 6 eggs. In 3 weeks I hope we'll have baby chicks.
B.

Mary said...

Thank you everyone!

Mitt Vattenhal: Thanks for stopping by! Geese can be a real nusiance here, too, in a lot of parks and private lakes where people insist on feeding them.

DeniseinVA said...

So many wonderful photos of this adorable family. You just can't help but feel good looking at them.

George said...

You got some great pictures of the goose family. It was nice of Mother Goose to show them off for you. The babies are adorable.

betty-NZ said...

I'm pretty sure they don't care what you think of the family as long as you have some crumbs! The little ones are adorable!

Rose said...

What a lovely family! Those babies are adorable.

Don Wood said...

I am in loove with all of them XXX Don

abb said...

Canada's are such good mamas and papas.

sandy said...

these are so darn cute.