We spent Wednesday visiting the Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois. It basically covers the entire bottom half of the state so we barely got to any of it. We went to 3 popular spots that are about a 70 mile drive away.....Garden of the Gods, the Iron Furnace, and Cave-in-Rock. I will have to split this post into a couple of days. I'll warn you ahead of time that I saw lots of birds and animals, but mostly from the car and with no photos. This was more of a geology lesson then anything else.
The road between Mt. Vernon and the Wabash River is lined with Redbud trees that are all in bloom right now. I had to take at least one photo from the car window to try to show how it looks.
Everywhere there are fields covered with purple flowers. I believe they are Henbit, but will not swear to it. It is an astonishing sight to see all that purple everywhere!
We went to Garden of the Gods first because we have been there before and wanted to show it to our niece who was along.
There is a 1/4 mile trail winding through the rocks and trees.....this is one of the narrowest points.
The rock formations are amazing and I am trying hard to choose the most interesting ones. This is all sandstone that was formed over the last several million years, worn away by water, wind, weather conditions. I think these rounded towers are fascinating.
It seemed like every surface is covered with swirls or pits or markings of some sort.
Sort of like the rock formations out west but with trees. In the summer and fall this area is gorgeous.
An opening with water seepage.
I'm showing this sign to explain these, since I would never get it right. The rocks in questions are below.
Looks a lot like gnarly tree bark.
Many of the rocks have relatively smooth tops, with impressions like this that catch water.
Lots of lichen covered rocks mixed in.
Laura spotted this lizard. I have no idea what kind....sort of prehistoric looking in my opinion.
Camel Rock....the most famous rock formation in the area and I know that people used to climb out on it and that some have fallen. Better to view the camel from a distance.
I like the twisted roots finding their way between the rocks.
A very dark butterfly that I didn't get a good photo of, but at least it is a "critter".
Who's going to win here...the rock or the tree? Looks like the tree is chomping down on that rock.
One last rock formation.
Most of the birds I saw were the same ones I see at home...cardinals, robins, bluejay, red wing blackbirds. We saw dozens of Turkey Vultures throughout the day, but I gave up on trying to take their photos as they soared overhead. I saw at least 3 hawks on the wires coming over. A grey squirrel or two. Some other tiny white butterflies.
Most of the birds I saw were the same ones I see at home...cardinals, robins, bluejay, red wing blackbirds. We saw dozens of Turkey Vultures throughout the day, but I gave up on trying to take their photos as they soared overhead. I saw at least 3 hawks on the wires coming over. A grey squirrel or two. Some other tiny white butterflies.
Tomorrow we move on to the Illinois Iron Furnace and Cave-in-Rock.
24 comments:
The purple flowers are simply wonderful and the impression in the rocks are really cool!
Mary: Very cool tour of your park, loved the lizard photo. Those are neat formations. I visited the Garden of the Gods in Colorado and it had really neat rock formation. You should look for those photos on the internet to compare.
This is a great trip Mary! I love the redbuds, I think I may have some on my new property! That butterfly looks like a type of Duskywing...but I packed my book!! hahaha! You do such a fun job with these trip posts....roll on!! Hi Mike!!
Extraordinary geology!
Glorious spring floral displays and a wonderful walk with great shots of the trees and rock formations. Thanks for taking us along.
Fascinating post.I have been to Garden of the Gods in Colorado.I did not know there was another one.The rock formations are awesome.
Blessings,Ruth
Nice daytrip ... looks like you had a beautiful day for it. I feel in need of a little adventure ... it is lightly snowing here at the moment ... I would like a green adventure!!!
This is a fantastic place Mary. I love that purple carpet. The colors and shapes of those rocks are amazing!! That lizard definitely does look pre-historic. How big was he?
Wow, I love those purple meadows!
How interesting, Mary... I would love to go there sometime. You got some great pictures both in the garden and on the way there. Love the Redbuds this time of year. I've never seen those purple fields before. Amazing.
Hugs,
Betsy
Such a great trip you took us on Mary. Loved all those amazing rock formations and the tree v rock photos is fabulous! I love that burry tree bark type rock too. Look forward to the next installment! (-:
I just love those fields of purple flowers - I wish I could go running thru them while singing from the Sound of Music (ha,ha!)
By the way - I received that cute photo of star and that BEAUTIFUL fabric bird coaster - LOVED IT!!! It is going on my desk. Thank you again so much! I will have to post pics of it this weekend on my blog.
The purple in the fields is so pretty. I have noticed it some around it, but not like the field you captured.
Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Leedra’s Greeting Cards
Photography By Leedra
Kallen: The purple flowers are weeds, but look great.
Fishing Guy: I bet there are many places called Garden of the Gods. This one is very pretty in the fall when the trees are turning.
Eve: Hope you do have redbuds! I keep hoping I will find a little one on my property to replace the big one that lays in the yard (but still blooms). Mike had a better photo of the butterfly that I will post tomorrow. Thanks for trying to ID if from such a terrible shot.
Kingsdowner: It really is interesting. Where I live is flat farmland...no rocks in our part of the Ohio River.
Arija: Thanks...it was a great day.
Ruth: I didn't know there was one in Colorado, but assume names like this are used often.
Cicero: Hope you have some green soon!
Joan: Thanks...the lizard was about 6-8" long.
John: I'm pretty sure the purple is weeds growing on the unplowed fields. I see it every spring.
Betsy: You would like it and it isn't real far for you. The whole southern part of Illinois is National Forest. Bound to be some waterfalls :-) We saw one little one.
Jenny: I took a lot more photos and am having trouble deciding what to post...what's new? We will definitly go back there, but once the weather is nice, it will be full of people. We used to camp there years ago.
Shelly: LOL! It would be fun to run through them :-) Glad you liked the mat, but don't feel you have to post it.
Leedra: I tried to look the purple flowers up, because I'm sure they are Henbit which also grows as a weed in my yard. Some fields have a lot like this one and some have just small patches. It sure looks lovely in the spring to drive by.
How interesting Mary. I really like the rock formations, and that field of purple is quite a sight. Love the lizard too.
B.
Wow.....very cool. Love the rocks and that field of flowers is gorgeous!!!
Becky: I'm always amazed at the difference between this area and where I live. The rocks are great. Would like to know what the lizard is. Will have to do some research.
Kelly: the flowers really stand out in the fields right now and will just get plowed under soon.
What a wonderful place - and I've never heard of it! Shame on me, being from Missouri, but my hubby hadn't heard of Garden of the Gods either, and he's from Illinois! Love that bizarre rock,and the tree eating the rock, heck, all the photos are fascinating!
Great shots. I'd love to visit some place like this. I love those rock formations. Isn't nature just amazing?
I'm in Northern Indiana....used to live in Louisville but I'm a Hoosier. Interesting place, may have to visit sometime.
I have been going to write you and ask if you had ever been to this place; I saw pictures at this other place and I have wanted to go there ever since. Is it as wonderful as it looks?
Annie: There are so many places in my own state I don't know and certainly not the ones in other states! The part over near Missouri is really lovely. I've been through there once years ago. It is basically the whole toe of the state of Illinois.
2sweetnsaxy: The rocks were really great! Since there aren't any leaves on the trees yet, we could see them better than I have seen them before.
Blue-Eyed Tango: Thanks for visiting! I'll stop by your blog later.
Rose: It is a terrific area and we barely got into the forest at all. Garden of the Gods is one of the closest spots for us, but the rest of the forest heading over towards Cape Girardeau, Missouri is great too. We want to go back and see more maybe later this year. I saw lots of old barns and stuff you would have liked, too...can't remember which side of the river....and of course I took a lot more photos than this. If you are into camping, there are lots of places to camp. Also quaint inns and B&Bs along the river. It's a wonderful area. So different from further up in Illinois that is all farmland. It is real close to Paducah....you could go to the quilt show this month and then around southern Illinois :-)
I have not been to Garden of the Gods -- it looks like a fascinating place to see. Thanks for the excellent pictures and the tour.
Boy, you got some great pics, really enjoyed seeing what you saw~...and enjoyed catching up. I went to Cicero's blog but couldn't find any "lotion" and things...
Post a Comment