Friday, April 10, 2009

If you thought the pink crab apple blossoms were pretty......

....wait till you see these! I looked outside yesterday morning and there was a small flock of Cedar Waxwings eating the crab apple blossoms! They seem to only like the pink ones. Didn't see any in the white crab apple. Isn't it beautiful in the flowers????

When I get something that excites me, I can't post just one photo!






Getting ready to take a bite

One little petal at time.

Swallow it whole

Yum!
I don't even care that they were destroying the flowers.....they could stay there forever. I got a lawn chair and just sat there watching them.
We also took a walk in the Nature Preserve, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

23 comments:

Kim said...

Fantastic photos! I had no idea they would eat the flowers! Very interesting to see. I am planing one of those in my yard this year and can't wait. Such a pretty tree and a bird magnet for sure.

penny said...

Wow, now I am jealous. These photos are beautiful. Its too hot here for trees like this to grow. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the views...

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Really fantastic Mary!! Love these pics.

Mary said...

Kallen: Last fall the waxwings came and ate the fruit of the white crab apple for the first time, and now the pink flowers in the spring! I hope that means they have me marked on their radar map :-)

Pam: I love flowering trees...am sorry they won't grow where you live.

Joan: Thanks! It was a lovely suprise!

Tom Arbour said...

Hi Mary- Cedar waxwings are beautiful but I've found that they just don't seem very intelligent compared to other birds. Do you know what I mean? I love to photograph them though, and pairing the buff colored bird with the bright flowers is wonderful. I'm also surprised, although I shouldn't be, how much further along spring is in your neck of the woods.

Tom

Rose said...

And I would sit right there with you! Very good captures!

Mary said...

Tom: I've noticed that they don't mind my presence as much as other birds...too intent on eating. They looked so pretty in the pink flowers, which I didn't know they ate! I did a woods walk yesterday and thought of you every time I didn't know a wildflower's name! Will probably post them tomorrow.

Rose: they were so pretty to watch!

abb said...

What unbelievably photos, Mary! Such beauty, and to witness him eating!
So glad you didn't post just one shot - all of these are wonderful (so is you SKF). Better be sure they're copyrighted by you. They'd make incredible note cards.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Wow!Spectacular pictures.The only thing better would be to see it in person.Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,Ruth

Anonymous said...

Wow. The Waxwing is just brilliant Mary and lovely blossom.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Beautiful captures of the Cedar Waxwing.

Don Wood said...

Mary great shots so nice to see the blossom when theapple tree next door comes into bloom we have the rednecked parakeets do the same XXX Don

George said...

What beautiful photos. I don't know which is prettier the blossoms or the waxwing.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

How amazing, Mary.... I love Cedar Waxwings --and I love Crab Apple blossoms... Yipes---I've never heard of that before. We had a big Crab Apple tree in our yard when I was growing up. I don't remember any birds eating the blossoms.... Maybe the blooms taste like apples!!!!???? ha

Hugs,
Betsy

Mike said...

Glad u didn't post just one pic, stunning Mary :)

Leedra said...

You really did good. It turned cold here when I was wanting to get pics of the birds in the crab apple tree...wasn't going to sit out in the blind at 30 degrees. :) Glad you were able to capture your tree with birds in it. An added bonus is that it was a waxwing. I will keep in mind the Waxwing might be visiting mine next year.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra

DeniseinVA said...

Oh my gosh these are fantastic photos Mary. I didn't know birds ate blossoms either. I would be ecstatic to find these in my garden. Only had one several weeks ago and and that was a fluke I think. I didn't get a very good shot but these are first class.

Anonymous said...

That is a great series to go with your SW photo. I am never seen waxwings in person. What a special treat Mary..

Becky said...

Oh Mary those pictures are so amazing. Those beautiful Cedar Waxwings are back, and I just love them. Your Crabapples are GORGEOUS! Love your header ! ! ! I'm so jealous...
Have a wonderful and blessed Easter.
B.

Mary said...

This seems to be one of those nights when I am running really late and don't have a post ready yet for tomorrow! I thank all of you who stopped by and commented. These waxwings were such a suprise and learning that they ate the flowers was a new fact for me! I wonder if it is the same group who came in the fall and ate the apples? Maybe they marked my house on their little GPS so they knew where to come back on the way through. Only one side of this tree has pretty blossoms at the moment and of course they are sort of ruining them...but I will let them. I've noticed other crab apples in the area that are not loaded with blooms, too, so I wonder if the weather hurt some of them.

Kelly said...

Ohhhh...that is so cute! Eating one little petal at a time...beautiful birds deserve beautiful food I guess!

NW Nature Nut said...

Fantastic photos and lovely colors. It screams spring!

CountryDreaming said...

Awww, the Cedar Waxwing among the pink flowering tree blossoms is just so sweet! Lucky you! Love your shots.