Saturday, April 11, 2009

St. Paul's Nature Preserve part #1....

Thursday, we took a hike in the nature preserve that is close to our house. I'm so glad this church takes care of this nice woods and maintains trails there. I was suprised how many flowers were already in bloom even though the trees are still pretty bare. The flower were encroaching on the trail in places and I kept trying to avoid walking on them! It was very peaceful and pretty with the large patches of Virginia Bluebells.
Virginia Bluebells......some are pink.

A bee found this one. Didn't notice that plant bud sticking up under it until I got home...wonder what it is?

Large areas of vinca carpeted some spots. There are bulbs planted near the entrance....daffodils, narcissus. I wonder if this vinca was planted, too.

Trout Lily?
I have a terrible wildflower guide. I look up what I think something is and can't tell from the drawings! I think I will have to find one for just Indiana. I had a lot of trouble taking photos of this flower since they all point downward. I was nearly standing on my head at one point! I don't "get down" very easily with my bad knee.
I saw just this one that was pointed outward instead of down!
There are actually 4 flowers in this photo. The Dutchmen's Breeches are the most obvious. The Mayapple behind it, which doesn't have flowers yet. A small yellow flower to the left and and even smaller white one on the right.
Same flowers.....not sure why I put both in.

I saw several "mystery" plants that I don't know names for, if anyone wants to supply them.
1. This tiny white flower.....I think it is a "weed", but can't come up with a name.
2. No flower....just leaves that intrigued me.
3. This one really has my curiosity. Interesting leaves and a bud sticking up out of them.
4. Another small white flower...bigger than the other one.
I'll post some more flowers from the walk in part #2.

14 comments:

Kim said...

Such pretty flowers. I have been looking for wildflowers on my hikes too but have not found many yet.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

You have shown us the intricate beauty of nature.Each tiny leaf and flower lovely in it's own way.I would certainly enjoy a walk down those trails.
Blessings,Ruth

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What a lovely post Mary. It seems like a wonderful place to go for a walk, even more so when everything is green again.

DeniseinVA said...

Another fantastic tour, can't wait for the next instalment. Photos are wonderful as always.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: I love your wildflower walk, the Mayapple is an unusual find. I have sympothy when you talk of knee problems. I walked today and am suffering now.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Great series. I enjoyed this hike with you. My problem when doing things like this is I forget I still have a ways to go and need to not take so many shots before I reach my destination. :-) I always have to sit and delete some of the ones that didn't come out.
:-D

I love that Spring is here. This is my favorite time of year.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh---love all of your little wildflowers, Mary. So a church keeps that area preserved??? That is neat. Someone needs to identify the wild flowers and put some markers near the flowers.

I buy Vinca in the summer for my front flowerbeds. It loves hot sun and does so well..

Thanks for sharing you neat little walk..

Thanks also for the link to Joan's post from South Africa. Now ---THAT is a real waterfall.

Hugs and Happy Easter,
Betsy

Mary said...

Kallen: I was surprised to find so many already.

Ruth: God gave us a beautiful intricate world! Isn't it great?

Joan: It's a very peaceful place to walk. I look forward to more green, but it will be harder to see things.

Denise: Thanks...There was a lot to see.

Fishing Guy: Really? Around here May-apples are pretty common. I have them growing in the wooded area along the edge of my property! Knee problems are a real nusiance. When I do get down, it is hard to get back up!

Mary said...

2sweetnsaxy: Don't you have a FinePix? Sounds like you need a bigger memory card. Mine is 4mg. I can take about 800 photos without downloading!

Betsy: It is a wooded area behind the church and cemetery that has been a preserve since the 70's. The local Boy Scouts who meet there take care of the trails and put a few signs and benches and steps up and down the hills. Marking the wildflowers would be hard, but they have a map of the trail and mention the name of some of the flowers and trees you might see. Happy to send you to Joan! She has a great blog and when I saw the waterfalls, I immediately thought of you :-)

Becky said...

Don't you just love all those beautiful little flowers peeking up through the leaves? Can't wait! The snow has gone, but not the cold temps. Those Virginia Bluebells are a new favorite of mine, having discovered them last summer.
Have a wonderful and Blessed Easter.
B.

Rose said...

These are the exact same flowers I seen the other day...the second from the bottom is bloodroot I think. And I cannot find my audobon book, but that does look like trout lily.

George said...

What a beautiful nature preserve. I thoroughly enjoyed your photographs and am looking forward to part 2.

Leedra said...

Last year I went to the Wildflower Pilgrimage in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I really enjoyed it, and learned so much about the wildflowers. I am so fortunate that I am this close to the Smokies. I am so excited to get to go this year, just for the mere fun of finding the special/rare ones on my own.

Leedra’s Photos For FunLeedra’s Greeting CardsPhotography By Leedra

Mary said...

I bet the Smokey's are a great place to hunt wildflowers of all sorts! I'll be watching for photos.